Voip providers and time to get incoming.

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by sergio Fernandez, May 17, 2005.

  1. does anyone know of a voip provider that has incoming calls as soon as you
    set up the voip box?

    sergio Fernandez, May 17, 2005

  2. sergio Fernandez

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <Wjaie.774709$>
    Vonage... I suspect most of them, actually.

    DevilsPGD, May 17, 2005

  3. not all, I'm waiting for incoming only have out going.
    just starting to look for an alternative, just in case.

    sergio Fernandez, May 17, 2005
  4. sergio Fernandez

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <wtdie.221042$>
    With what provider?

    Are you using a provider-assigned number or trying to port a number?

    DevilsPGD, May 17, 2005
  5. sergio Fernandez

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    I use Libretel's Port-of-Call service. The number started working
    more-or-less as soon as I clicked "purchase" on their web site and my credit
    card cleared.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, May 17, 2005
  6. sergio Fernandez

    burris Guest

    I got SunRocket with one of their temp numbers and had full service the
    moment I plugged in my adapter. Don't know how long it will take to port
    my own number when I am ready.

    burris, May 17, 2005
  7. sergio Fernandez

    DevilsPGD Guest

    Vonage too. I've ordered three adapters and ~7 lines over the course of
    the last 2-3 years, the phone number was always active within minutes of
    my purchase on the web, inbound calls went to voicemail until the ATA
    arrived.

    Within minutes of connecting the ATA (the delay being the time for it to
    download and update it's firmware), I was able to make and receive
    calls.

    In the cases where I was adding a line to an existing ATA, it typically
    takes less then 30 minutes. If you manually reboot the ATA, it takes
    less then 2 minutes.

    DevilsPGD, May 17, 2005
  8. It does not make sense that person should be two weeks with no incoming.
    I get a "It takes time to register your number" reply ...... when I ask why
    I don't have in bound yet.

    it does not make sense.

    sergio Fernandez, May 17, 2005
  9. sergio Fernandez

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Sez you :-( i was without incoming for 5 weeks! And that was after it
    had worked flawlessly for 8 weeks!

    The number "port" had been done wrong. So I got bills from BOTH old and
    Voip companies. I got both on the phone and old - co agreed to stop
    billing. Well, they issued a "disconnect" order, which has a legally
    required 4 week grace period. Ergo on Christmas day 2004 we stopped
    getting incoming. Outgoing continued to work just fine. It took three
    weeks to get upper management's attention. Then I had to pay the local
    company (neither old nor new could do this 'fix' by themselves!) to fix
    the local Switch in our town. Then the Voip company could complete the
    "port".

    On the plus side, the VoIP company gave me a full refund and 3 months
    credit.

    There are a minimum of 25 steps required to 'port' a number. It is
    complicated by regulations and by organizational issues and by the
    technology of number portability.

    Make more sense now?

    Rick Merrill, May 17, 2005
  10. sergio Fernandez

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <K%rie.779892$>
    Unless you're porting the number from another provider.

    DevilsPGD, May 17, 2005
  11. i'm not porting a number

    sergio Fernandez, May 18, 2005
  12. How good is the sound quality?

    sergio Fernandez, May 18, 2005
  13. sergio Fernandez

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <Wvwie.224077$>
    Vonage? I'd rate it somewhere between a landline and a cellphone. It's
    generally closer to the landline side of things though.

    DevilsPGD, May 18, 2005