    Sipgate seem to be getting very unreliable (I know a lot of people don't
    like them already!)

    Thanks in advance.

    George Woodbine, Oct 1, 2005

  2. George Woodbine

    keymaster Guest

    www.voipfone.co.uk

    keymaster, Oct 1, 2005

  3. George Woodbine

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Have you actually *tried* Sipgate or are you making judegements purely by
    what you read on here..? Please don't make assumptions based on a few
    disgruntled individuals.

    You can get 0845 and 0870 from Sipgate, but not 0800 (at present). There's
    no reason you couldn't forward an 0800 number from elsewhere though.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 1, 2005
  4. Yup, I have an 0845 with them at the moment. You'll note I said
    "Sipgate seem to be getting very unreliable" ;)

    Very rarely make calls with them (and therefore rarely use the website),
    so can't comment on their service from that point of view. However
    recently I've noticed a very big increase in failed incoming calls.
    These have been test calls by myself from Orange or Vodafone.

    Can't remember as many problems with other providers I've used. I've
    QoS on my ATA so I'm sure it's not a bandwidth issue at my end, but to
    be sure I've tried with only my ATA plugged into the broadband. May see
    if they improve over the next few days, if not I may try this voipfone
    that keymaster has suggested.

    George Woodbine, Oct 1, 2005
  5. George Woodbine

    Ivor Jones Guest

    That could mean you've read from others that they think Sipgate is getting
    unreliable ;-)
    The recent problems in this respect have been down to gateway problems
    rather than internal within Sipgate. I also read here from someone that
    Orange had a routing problem at one point recently.
    Any connection of 512k or more is plenty unless you don't use QoS and have
    a very heavy download in progress..! Certainly I can have two simultaneous
    phone calls on the go in addition to normal web surfing without problems.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 1, 2005
  6. George Woodbine

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
> [...]

    <snip>

    || The recent problems in this respect have been down to gateway
    || problems rather than internal within Sipgate. I also read here from
    || someone that Orange had a routing problem at one point recently.

    You did read it indeed. It turned out to be a problem with NTL. It seems
    Orange use them for their PSTN interface. Of course I should've known that &
    called NTL in the first place. Took Orange 4 days to track it down.

    Jono, Oct 1, 2005
  7. George Woodbine

    Dexter Guest

    You won't win with Ivor Sipgate is THE best as far has he is concerned
    but Voipfone I can recomend and you gat a lot more add ons with
    Voipfone for free and the Voicemail speaks in English not German .

    Dexter, Oct 1, 2005
  8. From my experience with Sipgate this afternoon i wouldnt touch them
    witha bargepole, the calls i made were unclear, the calls often
    dropped and also no one could phone me.

    Go with FREETALK , i will be at Dixons door first thing in the morning.

    www.crystal-power.co.uk, Oct 1, 2005
  9. George Woodbine

    Dexter Guest

    Dexter, Oct 1, 2005