    Please could anyone recommend a provider?

    Many thanks for your help.

    Victor.

    victor.ward, Sep 13, 2006

  2. victor.ward

    Ivor Jones Guest

    It depends on the length of the calls. If they're reasonably short, then
    using the Sipgate number itself will probably be the least hassle.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 13, 2006

  3. victor.ward

    Brian A Guest

    There is no doubt in my mind as to the best value voip provider.
    voip.co.uk
    £2/month for inclusive off-peak calls (up to 1 hour/call) and 2p/call
    at peak (up to 1 hour/call). You get a geographic number too.
    Reliability much better than Sipgate.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 13, 2006
  4. victor.ward

    david Guest

    Hi,

    For a good "pay as you go service" check out www.callunion.com, which
    supports sipura ATA's etc...

    David

    david, Sep 13, 2006
  5. victor.ward

    M.Dexter Guest

    www.freecall.com are offering five hours of free calls to 32
    worldwide destinations at the moment and call quality is about the
    best I have experienced for free , www.sipdiscount.com offer 120 days
    of free calls again to numerous destinations for around eight pounds
    which is credited to your account and can be used for calls to none
    free destinations .

    M.Dexter, Sep 13, 2006
  6. victor.ward

    Ivor Jones Guest

    [snip]
    I'm not going to get into an argument about reliability, except to say
    that I've not had a major problem recently that wasn't down to my
    equipment (mis)configuration.

    However, any provider that has a requirement for a monthly payment is not
    going to be good value for a caller who only makes half a dozen or so
    calls a week, unless those calls are very long.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 13, 2006
  7. voipcheap.COM - Also supports your SIP hardware.

    Initial top up €11.60 EUR (€10 + VAT - approx £8.04 GBP)

    90 Days of free UK landline calls (and many other destinations) after
    the 90 days calls are charged 0.93p (less than a penny) per minute until
    you next topup when they become free for another 90 days. Although you
    said mainly landline, the reason i recommend this company is for the
    occasional time you call mobiles - it is charged at 5.57p (less than 6p)
    per minute.

    If you decided to topup every 90 days for the free calls then it would
    cost about £2.60 per month. However, there would be no real need as you
    will have credit remaining. For your level of usage - this single top
    up could probably last you all year!

    If for any reason they charge their tariff then your you can withdraw
    your remaining credit, and presumably use one of the other suppliers
    recommended.

    Daviey Walker, Sep 13, 2006
  8. Thus spaketh Daviey Walker:
    Also sister service VoIPStunt.com , instead of 90 days of free calls,
    you get 120 days, however the cost of calls to UK mobiles is a lot
    higher, this is where VoIPCheap.com scores over VoIPStunt.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 13, 2006
  9. victor.ward

    hairydog Guest

    Stick with Sipgate. The other options available require too much
    messing about, or involve so much uncertainty, that it isn't worth
    worrying about for half a dozen calls a week, unless they are
    exceptionally long calls.

    I'm assuming that you're not in the UK, from your timezone settings.

    hairydog, Sep 14, 2006
  10. victor.ward

    Scope Guest

    I think I agree with Ivor on this one.. voip.co.uks package is
    brilliant, and their service also very good.. However, if you only make
    a few calls a week I think you can find cheaper providers.

    But having said that, he can still go with voip.co.uk and use their pay
    as you go service (same as sipgate), and if you find you make more and
    more calls switch to their UK package (£1.99), that way you dont have to
    change number down the lines... This is why I chose voip.co.uk over
    sipgate.. + I have heard nothing but praise for voip.co.uk.

    Scope, Sep 14, 2006
  11. victor.ward

    victor.ward Guest

    Thanks for all your responses.

    To answer a couple of questions the calls will almost all be less than
    an hour and probably more like 10-20 mins and I am in the UK (I didn't
    realise my timezone settings were off - I'll check this thanks).

    I was looking at voipstunt but voipcheap(.com) may be better as there
    may be the occasional mobile call. I'll read up further on all the
    suggestions and let you know what I decide.

    Thanks again for all your help with this.
    Victor.

    victor.ward, Sep 14, 2006
  12. victor.ward

    Brian A Guest

    The OP stated 6-8 calls a week. Let's say 30 calls a month then.
    If the calls lasted an average of only 20 minutes each that is 600
    minutes. At 1p/minute that is £6/month - so doesn't that make £2 look
    cheap. Besides that the actual cost, based on an annual payment, is
    less than £2/month, this is leaves 20 p/month free for peak time calls
    (or 10 peak time calls).

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Sep 14, 2006
  13. victor.ward

    Scope Guest

    OK Brian, if you put it that way. ;-) I didnt do the math.

    Scope, Sep 14, 2006
  14. victor.ward

    hairydog Guest

    Most calls last less than 90 seconds. Assume 90 seconds per call,
    that's 9 to 12 minutes per week, around 40 per month. 40p beats £2

    hairydog, Sep 17, 2006
  15. victor.ward

    hairydog Guest

    There are snags. Their billing system makes frequent errors on my
    account (supposedly fixed by a software update on Friday). Their PSTN
    gateway for incoming calls was down for over an hour one evening last
    week, and sometimes low priority support issues take a while to deal
    with.

    OTOH, they are reliable, and when I have contacted them about
    problems, they have been /very/ helpful and tried really hard to sort
    it out - and they succeeded, BTW.

    hairydog, Sep 17, 2006
  16. www.voip.co.uk

    Steve