VoiP PBX Type Question...

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Richard Moore, May 16, 2005.

  1. Say you have an office with one incoming PSTN line split to multiple
    analogue phones ( incoming call rings all the phones )...

    You then install a VOIP router with FXO connection ( Sipura 3000 for
    example ) to pipe the incoming PSTN calls onto your LAN...

    What options are there for setting up a VOIP PBX so that the incoming call
    can be patched through to a single phone and / or transferred to another
    phone?

    Have looked at Asterisk - but I don't have the time to get my head around
    Linux.
    The Brekeke virtual PBX looks more promising to me ( runs on Windows ).

    Other than that haven't found anything that looks like it will do the job.

    Anyone got any suggestions? Are there any low cost hardware VOIP PBXs
    around?

    Thanks in advance!

    Rich

    Richard Moore, May 16, 2005

  2. Richard Moore

    Ian Guest

    Without any Idea of Budget, One persons idea of low cost is anothers idea of
    expensive. What sort of budget do you have in mind. Remember Software/ PC
    based PBXs hardware is cheaper but implementaion costs can be higher.
    Are you looking to use IP phones ? if so you wll need to Budget in £70 -
    £200 based on quality.
    As to hardware PBXs there are loads SWYX springs to mind, Or just get an *
    box built and supported for you.

    Ian

    Ian"at"cyber-cottage.co.uk

    Ian, May 16, 2005

  3. Like I said - asterisk isn't an option for us, more a case of refuse to get
    head around Linux.

    Thanks for the info on SWYX, but looks a bit overkill for a single incoming
    PSTN line.

    I don't really have an idea of budget as I don't know what hardware /
    software is available ( hence the post ) - but in a similar bracket as the
    Sipura box would be good - though not essential.

    Richard Moore, May 16, 2005
  13. Richard Moore

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Was there a reason for 9 copies of the same message..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 18, 2005
  14. Richard Moore

    Ian Guest

    As to getting your head round Linux, As I said get someone else to do tha
    bit. or Asterisk can run on BSD or Solaris. And for that matter Most
    softswitchs run on some variant of *nix or VXworks, Cisco is one of the few
    that run under windows. And those that do run on windows run the swich
    normaly in a virtual machine as Windoze is not up to voice swiching .
    If your budget is based on the cost a ATA, I think you need to rethink what
    you are trying to acheive. If its what you allready have but VOIP based,
    then there is no point, If you are additioal features then you will need a
    IPPBX and have to accept the added cost that that will create in capital and
    support costs.

    Ian

    Ian, May 19, 2005
  15. ---------------------------------------
    Hi Ivor,

    Problems with Teranews server I'm afraid - it seems my message got stuck in
    the outbox although it sent Ok.

    Still - makes it look like my original post got plenty of responses ;-)

    Richard Moore, May 19, 2005
  16. ---------------------------------------
    Linux or any other form of b**lix operating system is simply not an option
    for us. Our systems are purely "Windoze" for reasons that are beyond the
    scope of my original question.

    Probably answering my own question here but have found an Epygi Quadro box
    for around £345.00 + VAT. Looks like it will do what I'm looking for.

    Richard Moore, May 19, 2005
  17. Asterisk can also run on Windows. We have developed a port that runs on top
    of the Interix subsytem.

    You can use an external FXO such as the SPA-3000 to bring an analog line
    into the system.

    Neil Stratford, May 19, 2005
  18. Have you considered [email protected] ?
    http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/ is a bootable linux cd which
    works quite nicely.
    What you could do is use an SPA 3000 to pipe the calls into a managed
    voip centrex service, like ours, which would give you the hosted pbx,
    but with your existing line.

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, May 19, 2005
  19. ---------------------------------------
    Hi Neil,

    Thanks for that! Will take a look...

    Richard Moore, May 19, 2005
    Hi Peter

    Thanks for the suggestion. Excuse my ignorance but would the managed
    centrex service mean that the incoming PSTN call would be piped to the
    managed PBX and then re-routed back to the relevant voip phone in my
    premises?

    Will check out your website by the way...

    Richard Moore, May 19, 2005