    This sounds better than VoIPBuster as this is for free, after the first
    free minute, once you bought the minimum fee of 5€ (or $?).

    Frank

    FTR, Feb 18, 2006

  2. FTR

    FTR Guest

    I just found another freeware one, announced by the French gratilog
    freeware site:
    VoIPerized

    It runs under Windows and Linux but I didn't find which Windows versions.

    From the website:

    What is VoIPerized?

    VoIPerized is a so called VoIP program. VoIPerized enables you to make
    free audio calls to other people who also run VoIPerized. When making
    VoIPerized the focus was to minimize the latency, because other VoIP
    programs always seemed to have an irritating lag which makes the
    conversation seem unnatural. By using the open source Speex audio codec,
    the audio quality is far higher than any normal telephone call.

    VoIPerized Features
    * Extremely low latency (0.120 seconds + ping time)
    * Conference with unlimited people at the same time
    * Contact list supports unlimited number of contacts
    * Adjust the bitrate to your needs
    * High audio quality (16 kHz sampling)
    * Low CPU usage
    * Adaptive Jitter Buffering
    * Smart packetloss concealment
    * VAD (Voice Audio Detection) or PTT (Push to Talk)
    * Easy to use interface
    * Missed phonecalls are logged
    * Option to Auto-accept or Auto-decline calls
    * Displays your own IP-address (even when behind a router)
    * UPnP support. VoIPerized automatically does the needed port
    forwarding (Windows XP & UPnP router required)

    http://www.student.tue.nl/m/j.s.d.kleijn/VoIPerized/English/index.html

    FTR, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Thanks, but that IMO isn't a lot of help. My understanding of VOIP
    is that one doesn't need to have a server at all. Isn't IP to IP
    telephony possible without going to a central server ? My
    understanding was that that was the case.

    My opinion is that pages such as the above need to be "dumbed
    down" if they are meant to be for the general public. Not just geeks.
    I am always suspicious of "free lunches".

    What's "Our servers and PSTN gateway are funded by the use of our
    non-geographic DID (DIrect Dial) inbound numbers." mean for example ?
    Does one need to pay for an inbound number to get this "free service ?
    Here in Australia VOIP over cable doesn't require any inbound number
    to connect to the internet, or to VOIP.

    Regards, John.

    John Fitzsimons, Feb 18, 2006
  4. FTR

    Even Afwezig Guest

    Op Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:14:42 +1100, John Fitzsimons
    IP to IP is nice but not everybody has voip, to reach landlines you
    need some kind of interface.
    They are not for the general public, you must be willing to learn and
    explore. Please stay that suspicious, it means that there will be free
    calls for us who did learn how to use it. :)
    Please John, you could try google....
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-DID
    No. Its all free.
    John, you can get a regular telephone number that will redirect to
    your voip number. It's an extra. For free.

    Even Afwezig, Feb 19, 2006
  5. FTR

    Even Afwezig Guest

    Even Afwezig, Feb 19, 2006
  6. Thank you for clarifying things Even. :)

    Regards, John.

    John Fitzsimons, Feb 19, 2006
  7. FTR

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    Franc Zabkar, Feb 24, 2006
  8. FTR

    FTR Guest

    FTR, Feb 24, 2006
  9. FTR

    thoss Guest

    I'm running Skype successfully here on 98SE.

    The only problem might be that the current Skype software is 2000/XP
    only.

    thoss, Feb 25, 2006
  10. FTR

    FTR Guest

    This is good news. Which bandwidth do you have, and what about voice
    quality (your subjective impression, of course).
    That is, Skype under Win 98 works with Skype XP (and Skype Mac) ? May
    sound stupid but I want to convince my colleagues who are not very
    inclined to try several apps once I advised them to install a VoIP app
    that did not work.

    FTR, Feb 25, 2006
  11. FTR

    thoss Guest

    I'm on 2 MB broadband. But I, in the UK, regularly talk to friends in
    Australia who are on dial-up. Quality seems to depend on how many
    people are currently online on Skype, which is reported on screen: more
    than 4 million and quality goes down. And there can be problems over
    delays (sometimes you have to say your piece, then say "over") or having
    your voice echoed back to you after a gap of about a second, which can
    be disconcerting. So, sometimes not up to telephone call quality, but
    then it's free Skype to Skype.
    I have no problem speaking to others on XP.

    thoss, Feb 25, 2006
  12. FTR

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    No conference calls, but sound quality is good. I'm on a 512Kbps ADSL
    plan. I use providers within the Finarea group (voipcheap, voipbuster,
    voipstunt, sipdiscount, internetcalls.com). They provide lots of free
    destinations. One difficulty is that you need to set up your
    account(s) using their Win XP software. However, once you do that you
    can transfer your details to X-Lite.

    X-Lite's stablemate, Eyebeam, handles conference calls, but it isn't
    free, AFAIK.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Feb 25, 2006
  13. FTR

    FTR Guest

    This is very interesting, thank you. I guess skyping to down under
    belongs to the extreme experimental conditions for measuring voice
    transmission quality. I guess some part of the voice packets use cables
    (those parts of the communications with a good voice quality) and some
    others go via satellite. And here, it becomes evident that geography is
    still important for the Internet, at least when it comes to voice
    quality. The transmission ways are so long and thus, take so long, that
    you experience delay.
    Having to manage who is to speak during a telephone call by "Over"
    commands - this is something that reminds me of Bad Old Days and that is
    really no publicity for skype.

    - Frank

    FTR, Feb 25, 2006