VOIP on a Draytek router without direct ADSL/WAN connection.

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Steve, Jan 3, 2010.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi,
    I have a Draytek router or three, I have VOIP working fine on the main
    WAN facing VOIP router (2600VG). I would like to use one of the spares
    elsewhere on the network with VOIP capability (another 2600VG). I have it
    currently setup just as a WAP, but I'll be blowed if I can get either of
    the VOIP ports to work.

    Topography is in simple terms:-

    WAN > 2600VG(192.168.0.1) > 2600VG(192.168.0.100)

    ..100 is set for DHCP pass through, and just works for web access.

    Register by is set to Auto, and the STUN server is set to sipgate.net
    port 10000

    I have tried with or without stun, and tried setting Register to WAN.
    LAN/VPN and all combinations/permutations I can think of, but still can't
    get it to register.

    So, either, what I'm trying to do isn't possible, or I have missed
    something important. Has anyone any experience of getting this set up to
    work please?

    regards,

    - Steve

    Steve, Jan 3, 2010

  2. Steve

    Rob Johnson Guest

    Being an ADSL 'router', would the WAN not be tied to the modem?

    Rob Johnson, Jan 4, 2010

  3. Steve

    Steve Guest

    It's a thought, do you think that maybe the VOIP port has to be able to
    directly see the WAN. As I posted above, having had the 2nd router(.100)
    sat in a DMZ, I'm beginning to think you may be right!

    - Steve

    Steve, Jan 4, 2010
  4. Steve

    Rob Johnson Guest

    My 2800 (or 'the slow, flaky old dog' as I call her) has a bog standard
    modem which is the 'WAN' side. There is no option to switch that to
    Ethernet. I imagine they probably make a version which has that or is
    designed for cable instead?

    Rob Johnson, Jan 5, 2010
  5. Steve

    TheDragon Guest

    I tried for months on a 2800VG it would not under any configuration get the
    VOIP to work via LAN as it is supposed to do. There is long long thread here
    about it Google it.

    TheDragon, Jan 5, 2010
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    OK, thanks for that, Save me trying any more then.. ! Looks like I need
    a Cat5 to VOIP box to hang off the back of the remote router.

    Anyone care to recommend anything simple/cheap/effective.???

    regards,

    - Steve

    Steve, Jan 6, 2010
  7. Steve

    Rob Johnson Guest

    +1 for the Linksys PAP2

    Rob Johnson, Jan 6, 2010
  8. Steve

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Not always, I have a BT home hub which works well in the way the OP
    wants. Took a bit of thinking and messing about but it's trivial to
    configure.

    Clint Sharp, Jan 6, 2010
  9. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Interesting... what are you using for a modem?

    - Steve

    Steve, Jan 6, 2010
  10. Steve

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Draytek 2820N but it's worked with several other modem/router combos
    before that (Netgear, Linksys and a couple of cheap reference design
    Taiwanese that I can remember, I tend to change routers often). I don't
    think I ever tried to get it working with the 2wire 2700. Notably, none
    of them offered VOiP facilities of their own.

    Clint Sharp, Jan 7, 2010
  11. Steve

    Steve Guest

    I think that's probably the key. Who manufactures the BT box ?

    - Steve

    Steve, Jan 7, 2010
  12. Steve

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Probably. I've not had the opportunity to test any other VOiP routers (I
    didn't test with the 2700HGV as I find the menus on it a PITA to find my
    way around and there's no telnet interface AFAIK) but I suspect you're
    right.
    I think the one I have is made by Inventel, it's a V1.5.

    Clint Sharp, Jan 8, 2010