VoIP, network analysis software, etc...

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by .zor, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. .zor

    .zor Guest

    Hello,

    I'm a student, and I would like to do some practical research about
    VoIP within campus network.

    The idea is to generate some VoIP traffic between 2 locations
    connected via loaded 2 Mbit link. What I need is a suitable software
    to make an analysis of described case, primary for network monitoring,
    measuring relevant parameters and, eventually, simulating different
    types of traffic (not necessarily, but it would be nice).
    Another question is about client-software for producing VoIP calls. I
    was considering something like Netmeeting, but on second thought, it
    would be very useful to have something more customizable (with
    possibility of choosing a codec, etc..).

    The final problem is that I need a freeware/open-source solutions, if
    it is possible. I know there is many commercial solutions for those
    purposes, but I can't afford them to myself because they mainly costs
    thousands of dollars (talking about network analysis tool).
    In worse case, even some usable shareware could help.
    At last, I really don't need some fancy networking tool, just a piece
    of software that can capture some relevant informations for me.

    So, any constructively suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks.

    .zor, Oct 8, 2003

  2. .zor

    TC Guest

    TC, Oct 8, 2003

  3. Hi,

    I have composed a system that gathered various forms of data from the
    network and graphed that with MRTG. All software was in the public
    domain running on a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) system.

    I found some tools for bandwith monitoring at:
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/bing/?topic_id=861
    http://www.slac.stanford.edu/xorg/nmtf/nmtf-tools.html#public

    Personally I used bing for bandwidth estimates, monitored latency and
    jitter. From these values I guessed a MOS value based on some research
    reports I found and real-life tests proved that the system was fairly
    accurate.

    Arnold

    Arnold Ligtvoet, Oct 8, 2003
  4. Gary Gapinski, Oct 9, 2003