    a month discount on my line with them if I stay with them making them
    50p a month cheaper!

    Any suggestions please?

    RinkyDinkyDee, May 6, 2010

  2. RinkyDinkyDee

    bin me Guest

    Fax over VOIP has difficulties. I do use it with Orbtalk. Incoming,
    both National and International it is fine. Outgoing, anywhere is a
    problem. For outgoing I usually connect the FAX machine to an
    "ordinary" line. The FAX machine is Group4 and about 5 years old.

    I understand the VOIP codecs have a limited bandwidth and the tones sent
    by FAX machines are outside of the bandwidth - hence are not recognised
    or transmitted.

    It works for me as I don't use FAX much these days - its mainly email.
    Maybe things have improved since I last looked at the problem 3-4 years
    ago. I think a more modern solution is available, as many large firms
    tend to use FAX and I would guess nowadays its over VOIP.

    bin me, May 6, 2010

  3. Depends on the codec, but none of them would have limited bandwidth.
    A-Law and mu-law are exactly the codecs used on landline connections in
    the rest of the world and the USA, respectively.

    G.729 and GSM are based on models of human speech and do not carry
    anything but human speech well. There are protocols for carrying fax in
    digital form over over RTP streams.

    David Woolley, May 6, 2010
  4. RinkyDinkyDee

    Graham. Guest

    If it's for incoming faxes consider using a fax to email service.
    I used efax.com for a few years for businesses who insisted in faxing
    us. It's an 0871 number, but no one complained.

    Graham., May 6, 2010
  5. FAX over VoIP is somewhat problematic, however it can work - firstly
    you need an excellent quality ADSL line with good traffic shaping on
    your router. You also need an ITSP who'll use A-LAW (or U-LAW, aka G711a
    or G711u)

    However, even then it can be tricky - what you're doing is taking a
    digital signal (the document, scanned digitally), converting it into an
    analogue form - then you plumg it into VoIP which takes the analogue form,
    converts it into a digital representation of this analogue form - sends
    it down the wires to the far end which does the reconstruction. Howeve,
    there's a twist in that the intermediate analogue form requires strict
    timing to make it work - you and me will hear a click or a short gap,
    but to the underlying modem that'll drops the line.

    There is another way - it's called T.38. However I don't yet know anyone
    in the UK who is providing a T.38 termination service.

    You're best off sticking the FAX machine on the BT/VM line and just
    using that to send/get FAXes in the 'traditional' manner.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, May 7, 2010
  6. It's also worth noting that some CPS providers can't send fax reliably to
    some destinations (presumably because they use VOIP for transit). So if you
    want it to be reliable, keep the call on the PSTN all the way, and use the
    'traditional' telcos.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, May 7, 2010
  7. I'm surprised by the negativity. Fax over VoIP works perfectly for me!
    I'm using a FritzBox! in which the fax machine is plugged in to FON2.
    Incoming faxes come via http://voip.co.uk/ and outgoing via a Betamax
    company (usually SMSListo). Most of my faxes are to and from
    sub-saharan Africa and never seem to have any problems. Faxes to and
    from UK numbers also never fail.

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Loades, May 7, 2010
  8. I forgot to add that my ISP is https://www.bethere.co.uk

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Loades, May 7, 2010
  9. RinkyDinkyDee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    As most people using VoIP also have a landline over which the broadband
    is received (ok I know about cable but I'd bet most cable users also
    have a landline on it) then do what I do - use the landline as a
    dedicated fax line and the VoIP lines for voice calls.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 8, 2010