    With voipstunt I was allocated an 05 prefix :-(

    Thanks

    Dom

    Dom, Apr 5, 2010

  2. Dom

    alexd Guest

    Sipgate.

    alexd, Apr 5, 2010

  3. The answer is generally: Almost of them.

    Some you need to pay for and some are free. In-general the free ones
    come with less support than the paid-for ones. You need to check the
    details and make your own mind up.

    Note - if searching, then the term DDI is often used rather than "voip
    in" number - and sometiems it's even DID rather than DDI. They're all
    basically the same thing.

    There's nothing intrinsically wrong with your 056 number - it was a range
    setup for this purpose, but it probably costs callers more to call than
    01/02/03 numbers.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 5, 2010
  4. Dom

    Graham. Guest

    sipgate.co.uk will give you a free geographic ddi for practically any UK
    STD code. Its got a nice voicemail service that will email you ICMs etc.

    Do you want outgoing calls too? I don't use Sipgate for those, I suggest
    you use a Betamax clone for those but not voipstunt.
    voipgain.com is my favourite at the moment, check out the rates, especially to UK mobiles.

    What hardware art you using, or are you just using a softphone?

    Graham., Apr 5, 2010
  5. Dom

    Dom Guest

    Thanks... I would like a betamax company that does 01/02 indeeed the 05
    number is much more expensive to call.

    Thanks

    Dom

    Dom, Apr 5, 2010
  6. Dom

    Graham. Guest

    Dom, none of the Betamax clones do free incoming numbers any more.
    I have a very nice memorable Manchester number I got from voipcheap.co.uk some years ago, and it still works!

    It's not unusual to use different services for incoming and out going calls, that's what I do here.
    What hardware are you going to use?
    Even if it only supports a single VoIP account, we can show you how to direct incoming
    Sipgate calls to the same device that is being used for outgoing calls via a different provider.

    Graham., Apr 5, 2010
  7. Dom

    Dom Guest

    number I got from voipcheap.co.uk some years ago, and it still works!

    Will start of using a softphone. I tried sipgate but found it hard to get
    it to work . The version of softphone with settings would download but not
    install. Tried another softphone and could get a ring tone so knew was doing
    something correct but speech was a problem.

    Which softphone do u all recommened?

    Thanks

    Dom

    Dom, Apr 6, 2010
  8. Dom

    Graham. Guest

    x-lite, it's the same that sipgate use
    You can download the generic free version here
    http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html

    As for the audio problems, do you know how to forward ports in your
    router? Point them at the PC running the softphone.
    http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=554&qw=audio
    (this is relevent for other providers as well as sipgate)

    Graham., Apr 6, 2010