    Voip.co.uk a good offer?

    Thanks
    Peter

    PeterL, Apr 30, 2014

  2. PeterL

    Woody Guest

    If you are intending to use the ATA purely for telephone
    calls and nothing else more sophistcated, setting it up is a
    doddle.

    Do a bit of Googling and you will probably be able to find a
    voip phone so you won't need an ATA.

    One question: do you have a router or is your broadband
    single feed? If the former then the ATA you are suggesting
    will do perfectly; if you have a direct feed then get the
    SPA122 as it has a built-in router.

    Setting up is simple - if you buy it contact me off net and
    I'll give you the info - I used to use a PAPT2 on voip.co.uk
    which was the Linksys version before Cisco took them over.
    There is a Linksys version on eBay item 161043338135 rather
    cheaper.

    Also have a look at eBay item 380895303938 for another but
    equally good make. If you prefer a voip phone have a look at
    350944606172 - of which I have one that I use on
    voip.co.uk - which works very well. The set-up manual is
    available on line. If you go looking for a voip phone make
    sure it has a PSU with it - most voip phones are PoE - Power
    over Ethernet.

    All of these ATA's have a built-in web server for setup.

    Woody, Apr 30, 2014

  3. PeterL

    PeterL Guest

    Woody, I'm really grateful to you for your prompt and informative reply.
    In answer to your questions, yes, I only want to make phone calls and,
    yes, I have a router.

    I like the idea of the Grandstream voip phone and have placed an order.
    I would also like to take you up on your offer of help to configure
    the phone on voip.co.uk.

    Many thanks. It's appreciated
    Peter

    PeterL, Apr 30, 2014
  4. PeterL

    Woody Guest

    No probs but get your order in quick - we're off on hols
    soon.

    Woody, May 1, 2014
  5. PeterL

    PeterL Guest

    I found a new Grandstream voip phone on fleabay for 25 quid, which
    should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. To be fair to Voip.co.uk they have
    given me configuration details so if it's that easy I hope to be able to
    do the setup myself!

    For the price, I'm also tempted to get a Linksys PAP2T

    Fiddling around this morning, I can neither ping nor log in to my MTA
    V102 so I'm convinced it's fubar. I even found this link
    http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t304088-provision-server.html
    describing how to do a factory reset and that didn't work either.

    As an aside, I'm on a 3 phone contract with unlimited mobile broadband
    data. Is there any way of using 3's service with my voip.co.uk account
    (I have more than 1 number) for incoming and outgoing calls?

    PeterL, May 3, 2014
  6. PeterL

    Woody Guest

    You will probably find that they will block the ports as it
    looses them revenue. Public wi-fi not run by one of the
    SP's - like McD's used to be but is now O2 - generally
    works.

    If your e-mail address is real I have sent you all the info
    you need, if it isn't let me have your real address - as
    mine is below the signature.

    Woody, May 3, 2014
  7. PeterL

    PeterL Guest

    Thanks again, Woody. I've received your emails and will take any
    further discussion offline

    PeterL, May 3, 2014
  8. PeterL

    PeterL Guest

    Thanks to Woody's pointers, I eventually bought a PAP2T-NA ATA and a
    Grandstream Budge Tone BT-100 VoIP Phone. Both seem to be working okay,
    except I have a couple of issues:

    - With the PAP2T I can make phone calls but cannot hear ringing. It's
    the same for incoming callers. They can't hear ringing either and only
    know the call's connecting when I answer!

    - I need to upgrade the firmware on the BT-100. Does anyone have a
    'walkthrough' tutorial using Solarwinds TFTP Server tools?

    Many thanks
    Peter

    PeterL, Jun 16, 2014
  9. PeterL

    Woody Guest

    Register yourself with Sipgate - it doesn't cost anything
    and you get a line number in the process - and then go have
    a look in their support area where you will find configs for
    many ATA's including the PAPT2. My duaghter has mine down in
    Bath at present so I can't look at it to tell you.

    Woody, Jun 17, 2014
  10. PeterL

    Woody Guest

    Google it - there's plenty of help.

    Basically you set the server running with the new binary
    file in the same directory, then point your phone at its
    address and tell the phone which file to download in the
    process as a switch. I'm curious as to why you need to
    update?

    Woody, Jun 17, 2014