    I'd also appreciate tips on hardware devices that might do the same
    thing. I have a cisco router and I know about cisco voip phones but they
    don't do video. Thanks for any pointers.

    tg, Oct 24, 2008

  2. tg

    Mike Scott Guest

    netmeeting?

    Mike Scott, Oct 24, 2008

  3. The Asterisk software PBX handles video and voice and there are many
    video phones and soft-video phones that work well with it. I've tried
    the Grandstream GXV3000 and ATL400 video phones and X-lite (eyebeam)
    and Ekiga soft-phones with it.

    Having the PBX in-house means all the data stays in-house (on the same
    LAN), although it's more than capable of being used to bridge multiple
    sites together over the Internet.

    If you don't want to build your own asterisk system, there
    are many pre-built systems out there - eg. have a look at
    http://www.drogon.net/dsx/ but I do have a vested interest in that
    particular one!

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Oct 24, 2008
  4. Cheers!

    I started it more out of curiosity than anything else - I have a client
    who runs/creates/manages wordpress blogs for his clients, so thought I'd
    have a look at WP and see what all this blogging stuff was all about!

    Half way down the page is an article on video phones. Been using
    Grandstreams for a while now - relative in Orkney is about to have a baby,
    so they have one, we have one and in-laws (her parents) will get one
    as a present when baby is born - I've never been convinced about video
    phones myself - the technology is there and workable, but ... Anyway,
    I think the social/domestic environment is a good place for them though -
    soon my in-laws will be able to see new grandchild 1000 miles away!

    WP does seem quite versatile - my wife uses it now to record all her
    travels and photos and so on...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Oct 24, 2008
  5. tg

    tg Guest

    ah yes of course Mike, thanks very much.
    why didn't I think of that?

    tg, Oct 24, 2008
  6. tg

    tg Guest

    ok Gordon thanks for your response.

    tg, Oct 24, 2008
  7. tg

    Mike Scott Guest

    'Cos it doesn't come with vista? and isn't supposed to run under vista
    home either, apparently. AIUI there is a workaround though (flag the
    entire nm install package as NT4 compatibility mode and then install).
    I'm almost sure I saw something compatible called gnomemeeting, although
    I assume this is only for linux.

    Why is it that the h.323 design committee didn't seem to have a half
    clue about firewalls?

    Mike Scott, Oct 25, 2008
  8. That & SIP probably designed before NAT was popular... )-:

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Oct 25, 2008
  9. tg

    Rob Morley Guest

    Why do you say that?

    Rob Morley, Oct 25, 2008
  10. tg

    Stephen Guest

    VLC is a good playout tool that can also act as a server.
    www.videolan.org

    note it understands IP point to point and multicast.
    some cisco phones do video conferencing - 7985?

    but they are optimised around using a soft PBX for control - the cisco
    version would be call manager on a server or the version that runs
    under IOS on a router - a bit expensive for home use :)

    Stephen, Oct 25, 2008
  11. Yes. Especially protocols like SIP show the problems with NAT. It bit me a
    few times the last week in building SIP tests. It finally stopped when I
    just used all SIP stuff on the same LAN.

    IPv6 will need more firewalls. All the processing capacity now used for NAT
    tables masquearding as 'firewall' can be used.

    Koos

    Koos van den Hout, Oct 27, 2008
  12. tg

    Hongtian Guest

    If your computers are windows system (not linux, unix,xBSD...), I
    would like to suggest below solution:

    Use miniSipServer as SIP server and use Xlite as clients. It is very
    easy to establish VOIP environment in windows platform with them.

    You can get miniSipServer from http://www.myvoipapp.com and get Xlite
    from http://www.counterpath.com

    good luck.

    Hongtian, Oct 28, 2008
  13. tg

    tg Guest

    ok thanks for your response hongtian.

    tg, Oct 28, 2008
  14. tg

    tg Guest

    thanks for your response Stephen, I have VLC and I toook a look at it
    but I'm confused as to how it does voice and video comms over LAN.

    tg, Oct 28, 2008
  15. tg

    Stephen Guest

    a lot depends what you mean by voice / video comms, but VLC is
    bascially a "source to dest" flow.

    if you need bi-directional (which voice sort of implies i suppose)
    then maybe this is not the tool for you?

    voice is just a sound track with 2 sets of flows - 1 each way....

    VLC can act as a video sender from a video source or a file - for
    example i have seen it sucking multiple channels from a digital TV
    card and multicasting the stream (although the server guys who did it
    mentioned it is much easier to make it do lots of channels in 1 box on
    Linux).

    so you need video in and hook it up to a PC interface that VLC
    understands.

    Stephen, Oct 28, 2008