    type in the IP address for that device. The device should be
    lightweight, small, and can easily be carried on a person. Does a
    product like this exist?

    srulison, May 6, 2005

  2. srulison

    Onion Knight Guest

    You'd be better off aliasing the MAC address to a real name, and storing
    that info in the "walkie talkie's" address book. If something like that
    were to ever be made that is...

    Onion Knight, May 6, 2005

  3. There are several softphone clients for PDAs if that is a feasible solution.

    Tor

    Tor-Einar Jarnbjo, May 6, 2005
  4. srulison

    Martin² Guest

    You can get a WIFI VoIP phone like Zyxel P2000W, ( few others: Cisco , Senao
    etc.) which will work wherever you can connect to WIFI.
    There is a catch, they aren't cheap !
    One day they will be common place and combined with mobile phones...,
    but I need one now !
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², May 7, 2005
  5. srulison

    Alex Bloor Guest

    P2000W is not a very good bit of kit, if I'm totally honest.

    We've never really got ours working "perfectly"..

    :<

    Alex.

    Alex Bloor, May 9, 2005
  6. srulison

    RC Guest

    There's Spectralink as well, still not cheap.

    RC, May 10, 2005
  7. srulison

    ss Guest

    Actually, it's no called IoIP or Intercom over Internet Protocol.
    The idea is just that...use the LAN/WAN for Push to Talk Intercoms.
    Digital Acoustics ii3 Intercoms www.digitalacoustics.com/ii3.htm
    seem to be the largest manufacturer of IoIP and VoIP type intercoms.

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
    no-spam Web and RSS interface to your favorite newsgroup -

    ss, Nov 4, 2005
  8. srulison

    Rich.Williams

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Vocera voice over 802.11

    There is a company called Vocera Communications Inc., that does voice over 802.11. They have a very light-weight communication badge that works like walkie talkies. The system is designed to work within a hospital setting and has to be set up to work with their communications system.

    Rich.Williams, Apr 21, 2010