Vodafone to allege Telecom Network interference in court

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by simonnz10, May 1, 2009.

  1. simonnz10

    simonnz10 Guest

    simonnz10, May 1, 2009

  2. simonnz10

    peterwn Guest

    Looks like it.

    However Vodafone has a good chance of obtaining an interim injunction
    on the balance of convenience (because Vodafone customers are
    inconvenienced) even though it will probably not be upheld in the long
    term (bcause the problem was foreseeable and Vodafone's
    responsibility). Even if Telecom is ultimately awarded damages for a
    non-upheld injunction, Vodafone would still most likely come out on
    top financially by successfully derailing Telecom's marketing
    campaign.

    peterwn, May 2, 2009

  3. simonnz10

    greg Guest

    chances are that it is a beat up, gotta remember way back when a 2nd
    cell phone carrier came on the market (Bellsouth - now vodafone),
    Telecom played the beat up game as well, now that the tables are turned
    on them. Hard to have sympthay for telecom here.

    But looking on the other side of the coin, maybe there is actually some
    interference here and telecom have not pulled finger and fixed it, they
    may just be protecting the customers?

    greg, May 2, 2009
  4. simonnz10

    fred Guest

    The new Telecom 3G network is not WCDMA, it's UMTS, WCDMA was rolled
    out, along with GSM, but abandoned in favour of UMTS. (or vice versa,
    the acronyms fail me) At any rate, the point is this is new tech being
    rolled out as opposed to the previous attempt at a 3G rollout.

    It's also running on 850MHz, whereas Vodafone runs on 900 MHz which
    should be plenty of space. However there is a possibility of an overlap
    in the 2100 MHz range (although, strictly speaking I am not qualified to
    make such a judgement so there may be acres of space between them)

    fred, May 2, 2009
  5. simonnz10

    Richard Guest

    WCDMA covers UMTS and the HSPA revisions.
    I havent seen any telecom 2100 for quite some time so I think that they
    have it off or hidden at the moment.

    Richard, May 2, 2009
  6. simonnz10

    Party Animal Guest

    Great link thanks
    The link contained shows there are quite a few handsets compatible with
    both networks which is what I want to know.
    Other countries support multiple networks so I should think these two
    should be able to sort it all out, they both bought their spectrum at a
    government auction didn't they ?
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/Jama/6461

    Party Animal, May 2, 2009
  7. simonnz10

    simonnz10 Guest

    That's what worried me, however from a legal perspective I guess they
    are quite rightly allowed their day in court. It will be interesting
    to see if Vodafone end up with egg on their face over this matter.

    Over the last few years I've found that they have become terribly
    arrogant, seemingly relying upon the "we're not evil Telecom" phrase
    as their main marketing technique. Their 3G coverage has been
    exceptionally poor until (surprise surprise) Telecom announced their
    vastly superior 3G coverage for the new XT network.

    Thanks for the legal perspective on this. Oh well, will wait and see
    what happens!

    simonnz10, May 3, 2009
  8. simonnz10

    Richard Guest

    Still crap 3g from vodafone - unless you leave the city and can benifit
    from their 900MHz "extended" 3G network - urban users are screwed.

    Richard, May 3, 2009
  9. ........ nah ! That doesn't doesn't seem possible when you type it like
    that, does it ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 7, 2009