    off, and I can't see any way to top up online that does not involve a credit
    or debit card, which she does not have. Is there a way to top up a prepay
    dumbphone without going to a dairy or ATM, without a credit or debit card?

    John Little, May 19, 2013

  2. John Little

    JohnO Guest

    Hmmm, that's a bit of a pain. I don't know of any other pre-pay options that have anything other than credit/debit card payments.

    I'd suggest she just gets a debit card. That's effectively an eftpos card with a credit card interface on it, isn't it?

    JohnO, May 19, 2013

  3. John Little

    Enkidu Guest

    I wouldn't describe it like that (though I see what you mean). I think
    of it more as a direct replacement for cheques.

    When I first tried eftpos I got charged twice for one transaction, in
    spite of the fact that the retailer, the eftpos firm and the bank swore
    that it couldn't happen.

    Incidentally and totally off-topic, do the "Swipe and Go" ads make
    anyone else feel like only paying cash, simply to avoid joining the
    'sheeple' crowd of clones? (And the whole idea seems technically dodgy too.)

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 20, 2013
  4. John Little

    Gordon Guest

    Or do not make a profit, so they upped the price so the telcos stopped it.

    Gordon, May 20, 2013
  5. John Little

    Richard Guest

    I have had present one card show when trying to pay with one of my
    contactless cards when my wallet was in my other hand a good 350mm off
    to one side. Had to put it down to get it to not read the one I wanted
    to read. Perhaps there is some other thru body coupling or something
    going on.

    So long as its not a debit card I have no worries about it. Wonder how
    it goes doing a chargeback on a card based on not wanting to charge it
    to that card. Like I dont put things under $250 on my gem visa, if
    something went thru on it when I didnt want it to would it be a huge
    challange to get it reversed or not?

    Richard, May 20, 2013
  6. John Little

    John Little Guest

    A debit card may not be appropriate for a child, as it enables unsupervised
    internet spending. In this case I don't have much concern about this, she's
    old enough now, but I wonder.

    John Little, May 20, 2013
  7. John Little

    JohnO Guest

    Seems like a risk to me. The visa guy interviewed on TV seemed to
    think that as the proximity required is ~ 1cm that people won't get
    skimmed but we'll see.

    Also there seems to be a risk of getting charged twice. I tried this
    technology yesterday. The first tap didn't work. Or did it? I needed
    to tap it again to get a transaction. I was careful to check the
    transaction online today for a duplicate - the bother of which
    cancelled the convenience of the tap transaction.

    JohnO, May 20, 2013
  8. It's not a direct replacement for cheques cos I can't put a "card wave" into
    an envelope and post it. Neither can I pay for things more than $80 using
    that system. :)

    That has happened to me as well. Only once though and it was fixed quickly.
    I was particularly amazed that a retailer could simply write my eftpos card
    number on a bit of paper with the amount, send that off to the bank, and my
    card would be charged. It was - I signed/OKed nothing at all. :) Their
    machine was broken at the time but still ... :)

    Actually, that's the *only* thing about the chip card I like. :)
    The idea that a PIN makes a credit card *more* secure seems completely wrong
    to me. I don't have a PIN ... so it can't be guessed/read from the card. Now
    that's secure. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 21, 2013
  9. ... perhaps a really good question might be ... why should we encourage them
    ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 21, 2013
  10. John Little

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bugger that! I might have to line my wallet with tin-foil!

    (I got a contactless-enabled card issued last time around - I didn't ask for
    it and when I rang about not wanting it at first I was told there'd be a $20
    fee for a "replacement card". After a couple of minutes of listrening to me
    they retracted that - but it would have involved quite a bit of drama to get
    a replacement and not get charged. Like, going to the branch, quoting a
    bloody long number..... So I didn't bother.)

    I didn't know about this sort of carry-on then though. :(
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, May 21, 2013
  11. John Little

    JohnO Guest

    LOL! Better a tin wallet than a tin hat, Shaun!

    JohnO, May 21, 2013
  12. John Little

    JohnO Guest

    LOL! Ignore all that shit and just make sure he doesn't overcook the
    fillet!

    And stop perving at your son's gf for god's sake! :-D

    JohnO, May 21, 2013
  13. ... how did we ever survive before cell phones I wonder ... oh wait ... we

    Bruce Sinclair, May 22, 2013
  14. John Little

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Wait! Are they mutually exclusive? ;)

    Good timing - I got a new replacement for my other credit card in the mail
    today and it too is 'tap and go' enabled!

    It just annoys me that they automatically send them out - and if history's
    anything to go by make it a PITA / expenisve to get one that *isn't* T&G
    enabled.

    ~misfit~, May 22, 2013
  15. John Little

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks for that.

    However I've not been 'lucky' lately and would likely inadvertantly have the
    drill-bit send a series of pulses to the chip as it rotates (and makes and
    breaks contact with the wires) that would re-programme the thing and result
    in my arrest and incarceration. ;)

    ~misfit~, May 22, 2013
  16. John Little

    Gordon Guest

    Nope, they just say that is not an option. Source Fair Go last night.

    Gordon, May 23, 2013
  17. John Little

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Ahh, thanks.