    It's an almost certainly grey box about 1.5 m tall by 0.5 ish ? Look for it
    in a street near you. :) :)[/QUOTE]

    They're green where I am.

    JohnO, Nov 26, 2013

  2. A subset, certainly, but maths is not required for sums. :)

    No, you don't. Your call of course. :)
    Start now. In a month, you're done. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 26, 2013

  3. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    Maths covers doing "sums", plus lots of other sub-subjects. "Sums" is
    in fact the basis for pretty much all of maths - if you can't add,
    subtract, multiply or divide, then you're basically screwed when it
    comes to doing most higher maths. That's why they teach such things in
    primary school maths classes (or at least they're supposed to ... in
    these days of politically correct stupidity it wouldn't surprise me in
    the least if subtracting numbers is considered too "negative" to be
    taught!).

    Some emails are not every month - in fact some I get are annual
    reminders for various things (as a silly up-coming exmaple, the
    reminder for an annual "12 days of Christmas" competition).

    Your Name, Nov 26, 2013
  4. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yep, I saw the techs sitting at them a while back when they were all
    upgraded. Trouble is (as mentioned in another post) I'm in an urban area and
    they're all over the place. I don't know how to tell which one serves my
    home. Blow them up one-by-one until the connection drops out? ;-)
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2013
  5. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Green here too. There are three that I have noticed within a km ot two of my
    home - two of which are about equidistant. I don't know which one serves
    this street (cul-de-sac actually) though. I remember a website a few years
    back when I was waiting for ADSL2 that showed the area that the cabinet I
    was 'on'. I can't find it now but at the time I recall there were two cabs
    on the edges of the zone. How are you supposed to know which???

    <shrug> I guess it doesn't really matter.

    ~misfit~, Nov 26, 2013
  6. Your Name

    JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Nov 26, 2013
  7. Your Name

    JohnO Guest

    JohnO, Nov 26, 2013
  8. Ah well ... must own up that I'm a tad colour blind, grey/light green ...
    all the same really. :)

    That typed, most of these sorts of boxes seem to be a pale shade of ...
    something indeternminate ? :)

    <thinks> ... I wonder if they'd mind if I painted it a more interesting
    colour ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 27, 2013
  9. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    It's possible that some of them used a paint that faded to a different
    colour over time.

    They supposedly paint them green (and the electricity boxes) to blend
    in ... which they rarely do. They should just hire them out for
    advertising, then people would more easily ignore tham. ;-)

    Your Name, Nov 27, 2013
  10. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    And you don't want to be behind him at the traffic lights. ;-)

    Your Name, Nov 27, 2013
  11. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Well it seems that Slingshot is still run by a bunch of cowboys:

    "Slingshot has been fined $250,000 for forcing customers unwittingly to take
    its service and then aggressively pursuing them for payment and referring
    some to debt collection agencies."
    And:
    "Commerce Commission consumer manager Stuart Wallace said Slingshot's
    actions were "very disappointing", especially for a trader of Slingshot's
    prominence, and because it was warned about similar behaviour in December
    2009."

    From: http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=178807

    I'm pleased that I'd seen negative publicity about them (often here) and
    have never been keen to try them - giving their reps short-shift when I've
    been approached.

    [Public Service Announcement; nz.comp2013/b151.] ;-)

    ~misfit~, Dec 12, 2013
  12. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    Not sure how that makes them any different to pretty much all the other
    ISPs in the country (if not the world). :-(

    Personally I would never ever use Slingshot, and the one person I know
    who briefly switched to them had nothing but problems dealing with
    them.

    Technically this wasn't actually Slingshot's fault, but the idiot
    company they contracted out the phone sales promotion to. Those morons
    then gave Sligshot a list of names, and Slingshot processed what they
    believed were legitimate transfers.

    What was Slighshot's fault was "aggressively pursuing [transferred
    customers] for payment" despite being told by those customers that they
    had not wanted to be transferred.

    Your Name, Dec 13, 2013

  13. Good job says Quin as Slingshot fined $250K for 'slamming' customers

    http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/slingshot-fined-250k-“slamming”-customers-ck-150013

    Frank Williams, Dec 13, 2013
  14. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    So you've never been an Acrtix customer then. Orcon were good for a year or
    so too when Seeby's heart was in the business - before he realised it could
    make him rich.
    I wouldn't either - but then I've heard the runblings over the years. Your
    average Jow has only seen the TV ads and knows no better.
    If you believe Slingshot's after-the-fact account of this latest
    incident....
    Yep. Not their first time either.

    ~misfit~, Dec 14, 2013
  15. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    Yep, just like ihug's Woods brothers. :-(

    It's run by another greedy idiot (or pair of idiots, I don't remember
    nor care about their marriage status).

    Of course, it is what you get for contracting a greedy sales company
    .... they no doubt get paid by how many people they switch over, so
    no-morals / pushy tactics and fudging the numbers was bound to happen.

    Your Name, Dec 15, 2013
  16. Of course, it is what you get for contracting a greedy sales company
    .... they no doubt get paid by how many people they switch over, so
    no-morals / pushy tactics and fudging the numbers was bound to happen.[/QUOTE]

    Interestingly, IME, companies that contract out part of their service seem
    to think that exempts them from culpability and/or blame when cock ups
    happen with that service. Recent example, xtra/yahoo.
    My response is simply ... you paid them money for a service which they
    failed to provide. That's your problem, not mine. You sort it out. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 15, 2013
  17. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Indeed. Ultimately the buck must stop with the person / organisation who
    contracted them. The same as if you hire a contract killer - both are
    responsible for the result.

    ~misfit~, Dec 16, 2013
  18. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    Technically you're probably not. The hitman you hired would be charged
    with "Murder", and you would likely be charged with something like
    "Conspiracy to murder".

    Of course, in this case Slingshot will likely pay the fine, and they
    start legal proceedings against the contracted company to get at least
    some of the money back.

    Your Name, Dec 16, 2013
  19. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Which is a measure of responsibility for the result yes?
    .... and in a couple of years will likely be caught doing a similar thing.

    ~misfit~, Dec 16, 2013
  20. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    It is SOME measure, but it's not the same level for both participants
    because only one person actually did the murder.

    Probably, especially if they keep farming out their sales promotions to
    dodgey companies and likely paying at least partly on a "how many sales
    you make" game ... commission selling should be banned, it simply makes
    the salespeople greedy and selfish.

    Your Name, Dec 17, 2013