    friend recently got VDSL after his local cabinet was upgraded about 6
    months ago. I think his cabinet is about two houses away so he is
    getting very good speed.

    David Empson, Nov 22, 2013

  2. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks for the explaination David.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

    ~misfit~, Nov 24, 2013

  3. Your Name

    JohnO Guest

    So... if I switched from ADSL2+ to VDSL, I need the rather pricey VDSL modem, but also someone has to make some wiring changes from the street to the house? or does it still run over the existing phone line?

    JohnO, Nov 24, 2013
  4. I doubt most help desks know anything. They're basically give a
    "script" to run through to try to solve your problem, but they rely too
    heavily on that script and the rather useless "Network Status" pages
    run by the provider - those pages are often purposely not updated
    properly so that it makes them look better (Vodafone's Network Status
    only shows about a quarter of their actual issues, even if you discount
    the ones they don't believe are happening!).[/QUOTE]

    I am giving examples of help desks that can.
    Suggest *we* support those that can and leave those that can't to talk to
    themselves. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 25, 2013
  5. Telecom's standard upgrade the box time was about 2 years (from time of
    asking).

    We had a box close and asked for it to be upgraded. Heard nothing (typical
    and not surprising), then about 2 years later, telecom rings saying "faster
    broadband is now available in your area". I ask why I care, and they sound
    confused and tell me I asked for it to be upgraded. When pressed, they admit
    this was 'some time ago'. :) :)

    It may simply be that the box has been upgraded and no one except
    telecom/choru knows ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 25, 2013
  6. .... while the two comapnies are busy playing "pass the blame", you're
    stuck with a faulty service.

    If there's a problem with the phoneline, then Telecom (who do still own
    99.9% of the lines and equipment, even if it is through the "separate"
    Chorus). If you're telephone account is with Telecom, then there's
    nobody they can play "pass the balme" with, and the problem actually
    gets fixed.[/QUOTE]

    You can believe that is you like. Certainly true with power and liners
    companies. :)

    But ... Actrix has sorted out lines problems before for us, quite quickly,
    and they don't own any. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 25, 2013
  7. 1) It will be cheaper
    2) What is your time valued at ? ... and what is aggravation valued at ? :)
    3) It won't take as long as you fear. :)
    4) If what you want is not being provided and you put up with it, it just
    encourages them to contine to provide that level of "service".

    The solution remains yours to implement. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 25, 2013
  8. We need a phone line, and we don't need multiple device connected at
    once. Again, dial-up is perfectly fine ... it's non-working dial-up
    that is the problem.[/QUOTE]

    The solution remains obvious ... sorry. :)

    If you won't do anything about the problem, then please, at least stop
    complaining about it.

    Thanks :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 25, 2013
  9. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    Cheaper?!? Paying two IPSs for the same thing?? You might want to go
    back to maths classes. ;-)

    No, it'll take longer ... most things take longer than you think they
    will. It's one of Sod's Laws. ;-)

    Your Name, Nov 25, 2013
  10. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yeah, I was wondering about that being the case - it might have actually
    been last spring rather than 18 months ago too. Then again I don't know
    where 'my' cabinet is so have no idea of the distance. I get a pretty good
    ADSL2+ connection. <shrug>

    ~misfit~, Nov 25, 2013
  11. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yep, they seem to have quite a bit of 'push' with chorus. When it was
    established that I needed to have my line swapped to another port at the
    exchange to fix an issue it was done within 26 hours. When I had line issues
    when I was with Xtra several years back when they and Chorus were all part
    of Telecom it took over a week to get a tech out.

    ~misfit~, Nov 25, 2013
  12. Your Name

    David Empson Guest

    No wiring changes from the cabinet to the house, just changes in the
    cabinet (reconnecting your phone line from an ADSL2+ system to a VDSL
    system) and replacing your modem.

    The key question is the length of the telephone line between your house
    and the cabinet. The usual way that gets shortened is if another cabinet
    gets installed closer to your house. You aren't likely to be able to
    arrange to have your telephone line rerouted in a straighter/shorter
    line.

    According to Wikipedia, NZ is using VDSL2, which drops off in
    performance to the point where if the length of telephone line from your
    house to the cabinet is at least 1.6 km, it will be no better than
    ADSL2+ for downstream data (but might do better for upstream).

    At 1.0 km, maximum downstream speed is 50 Mbps. At 0.5 km, maximum
    downstream speed is 100 Mbps, which is where it gets speed capped (if
    not at a lower speed), so being closer than 0.5 km won't help.

    Upstream speed is capped at 10 Mbps, so should be consistent out to at
    least 1.6 km unless there is a mode change at some point which drops it
    to a lower speed.

    David Empson, Nov 25, 2013
  13. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Again, great info. Is there any way I can find out where 'my' cabinet is?

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Nov 25, 2013
  14. Again, great info. Is there any way I can find out where 'my' cabinet is?[/QUOTE]

    It's an almost certainly grey box about 1.5 m tall by 0.5 ish ? Look for it
    in a street near you. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 25, 2013
  15. Cheaper?!? Paying two IPSs for the same thing?? You might want to go
    back to maths classes. ;-)[/QUOTE]

    1) that's arithmetic, nt maths :)
    2) no, you *only pay one ISP* (the good one).

    Longer than you think it will, but shorter than it could.

    Seriously, lower your aggravation levels and switch. You *will* love it. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 25, 2013
    :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 25, 2013
  17. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    Telecom / Chorus / whoever was going around installing "mini-cabinets"
    in many locations at one stage as a remedy to the long copper wiring
    used here. (Apparently "kiwi ingenuity" meant they were originally able
    to put cabinets further apart, which was a great cost saving in the
    days of voice phone calls, but became a problem with broadband
    internet.)

    Your Name, Nov 26, 2013
  18. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    1) that's arithmetic, nt maths :)[/QUOTE]

    Arithmetic is part of maths.

    A I said before, you have to keep paying the original ISP until you're
    sure you've updated all the people and places using the old email
    address.

    Your Name, Nov 26, 2013
  19. Your Name

    JohnO Guest

    Thanks Dave - very informative.

    I would say we are less than 100m from the cabinet - it is on the corner ofour street and we are the second house from it. We get up to about 16Mb/s on ADSL2 but it drops away to less than half that when the kids in the neighbourhood get home from school and sign into iTunes and YouTube.

    I work a lot from home and it would be nice to get the higher upload speed.

    JohnO, Nov 26, 2013
  20. Your Name

    JohnO Guest

    There will be a green steel cabinet on the side of the road somewhere nearby - similar to this:
    http://www.mfe.govt.nz/laws/standards/panel-antennae-roadside-cabinet.jpg

    JohnO, Nov 26, 2013