    victor Guest

    I'd be
    Anyone would be

    victor, Feb 23, 2014

  2. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    Yes it is, it means the IP address does not change. :-\

    Your Name, Feb 23, 2014

  3. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    ihug kept their modems outside on the street so that every time it
    rained the modems stopped functioning.

    When Vodafone took over they decided wires and electricity weren't good
    enough and changed the modem->outside world connections to use drinking
    steraws and treacle ... hence websites often getting stuck duing

    Your Name, Feb 23, 2014
  4. Your Name

    victor Guest

    A static address is manually entered by the customer. It won't be
    allocated to someone else and you can use it as a domain.

    Telecom's UBS system allocates IP numbers which don't usually change,
    but they are configured by DHCP.

    victor, Feb 23, 2014
  5. Your Name

    victor Guest

    Only a fool would keep on paying them.

    victor, Feb 23, 2014
  6. Your Name

    Enkidu Guest

    "Permanent IP address" is not a technical term. The two types of IP
    addresses are "dynamic" and "static". Basically "static" is a real thing
    "permanent" is what you made up.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 23, 2014
  7. Your Name

    Your Name Guest

    And now we get pedantic stupidity. One more to go and the set is
    complete. :-\

    Your Name, Feb 23, 2014
  8. Your Name

    Gordon Guest

    Well, so what are you doing about it?

    Hint, the latest issue of Consumer has its annual report on what its readers
    thinks about ISP's.

    Three are fighting to reach 100% and to beat each other even if they do not.
    Actrix is one of them. They have been praised in this ng for many a year
    now.

    Your choice, actions are louder than words.

    Gordon, Feb 23, 2014
  9. Your Name

    Gordon Guest

    You are in the Troll Award of the Month.

    Gordon, Feb 23, 2014
  10. The solution to this problem is simple and has been suggest many times by many
    people. Get a good provider.

    You choose not to do anything, so I for one, aren't interested in known and
    repeated problems.

    Sorry. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 24, 2014
  11. I doubt that. Actrix dial up still worked the last time I tried it (OK, a few
    months ago now :) ) ... but knowing them, I suspect they will provide the
    service as long as someone wants them to. After all, they had a heap a few
    years ago, and can afford to lose a few without any serious consequences. :)

    Dial up comes free with their broadband (and came free with their phone plan
    before that).

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 24, 2014
  12. Your Name

    Enkidu Guest

    No, only you and Lennier responded. Nowhere good enough as far as I am
    concerned.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 24, 2014
  13. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL, and I bet if you were were ever in the army your mum would have said
    "look my son is the only one marching in time" - a family trait.
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2014
  14. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL, yeah. Still, everyone has their priorities.... If I drank alcohol more
    often than once or twice a year, smoked tobacco, bought takeaways, ate
    meat... etc. etc. etc. Then I wouldn't be able to afford ADSL. <shrug>

    I'd rather not be bitter and any more crazy thanks! ;)

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2014
  15. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Crazy huh? Why would anyone bother?
    Indeed. My 'naked broadband' actually includes a local telephone number! ;)

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2014
  16. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    AOL.

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2014
  17. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Beat me to it: I have dial up, very very good dial up (as they have few
    customers using it) and not only is it free but I don't bother using it! ;)

    (I used it last a couple years back when someone whose PC I was doing a
    re-install on wanted a dial-up modem [and driver...] for some odd reason. I
    used it to test.)

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2014
  18. Your Name

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Or to put it another way;

    I wouldn't use dial-up if I got it free! In fact I do - and I don't.

    ;)

    ~misfit~, Feb 24, 2014