    what passed for "braodband") was originally priced at $40 or less per
    month - ihug broadband plans at $30 back in 2005:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?t=20459

    Your Name, Dec 13, 2013

  2. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    I should say, at one stage (nearer the Vodafone buyout than ihug's
    start) every time it rained in Auckland there were problems logging on
    to ihug's accounts, which led to the running joke that ihug kept their
    servers outside on the footpath and were too cheap to even buy
    umbrellas.

    Your Name, Dec 13, 2013

  3. Possible

    victor Guest

    victor, Dec 13, 2013
  4. Possible

    Dave Doe Guest

    Almost right. CompuServe offered, erm... CompuServe, but also internet
    access in their later years. So that was before other (NZ) ISP's. Then
    IBM offered access (IBM Vnet I think it was called). All that was way
    before any NZ ISP - a couple of years at least.

    Dave Doe, Dec 13, 2013
  5. Possible

    victor Guest

    Crap home wiring is the cause of most connection problems

    victor, Dec 13, 2013
  6. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    Nope. Not only was it then a brand new house in a brand new
    subdivision, but simply discconnecting and trying to re-connect
    (sometimes multiple times) solved the problem. There were also other
    people complaining about the same thing.

    Your Name, Dec 13, 2013
  7.
    Frank Williams, Dec 13, 2013

  8. Micro outages are a common problem with ADSL..

    Due to the way telephone wires are connected..

    IE not soldered.

    Well had a number of problems with least line connection at Data Bank
    and we fixed them with a 9V battery.

    Frank Williams, Dec 13, 2013
  9. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    Nope. :)
    I'm talking about dial-up connections. Once you finally got connected
    it was fine ... of course, at least part of the problem would have been
    because it was raining, everyone was inside playing on the Internet, so
    the chances of hitting a working modem at ihug's end were considerably
    less.

    One place I worked for (then) still had overhead phone cables along the
    street and was near the sea, so wind and salt water air caused a few
    problems with cables coming loose and corroded connectors in the boxes.

    Your Name, Dec 13, 2013
  10. Possible

    victor Guest

    victor, Dec 14, 2013
  11. Possible

    Your Name Guest

    No phone issues at all. The problem was at ihug's end with faulty
    and/or overloaded modems / servers.

    Broadband may be better than voice / dial-up, but faulty lines do still
    cause problems.

    Your Name, Dec 14, 2013
  12. (snip)

    They are certainly whinging. Interestingly, not paying dividends for a mere
    four (4) years, fixes their problem. I have no problem with that. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 15, 2013
  13. And some other organisations (eg DSIR). :)
    I transferred to actrix when voyager sold off their non commercial
    customers. No complaints here. :)

    I wasn't on BBS, but there were better options at that time (like news
    groups IIRC :) ) ... and I recall you helping out some of us new and not
    very knowledageble apple II+ users around that time too. Thanks. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 15, 2013
  14. Except, compuserve was evil and expensive. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 15, 2013
  15. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Indeed - nor do I. ;)

    They'll bounce back once UFB is done and up and running anyway. Look how
    long it took so many people to drop dial up for ADSL. I don't see the copper
    being obsoleted for a *very* long time.

    In fact they'd probably be an excellent long-term investement if one was to
    buy about now - while their whining has dropped the share price about 25%.
    They own the copper and it'll be needed for ages yet even if they can't
    charge an arm and a leg for access to it it'll be profitable for many years
    to come.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]

    ~misfit~, Dec 16, 2013
  16. An overseas fund manager did exactly that a day or 3 ago IIRC. Reckoned
    (again IIRC :) ) that all the bad news was priced in now. IANAFA. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 16, 2013
  17. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    IAMAFAE but, if I had money to invest I would / have buy / bought Chorus
    stock recently / soon.

    I don't know what their share price is doing now (have no reason to know how
    to check either...) but I doubt we're the only ones who see an opportunity.

    ~misfit~, Dec 16, 2013