    I tried both and neither worked (Zonealarm shut down, windows firewall
    off)

    Do NTL block these things or something?

    Jon, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Jon

    John Fryatt Guest

    I am with NTL and I've used VNC successfully.

    Describe your setups. Are there any routers involved, for instance?
    A bit of information would help someone to help you.

    John Fryatt, Jul 8, 2005

  3. Jon

    Rob Morley Guest

    The address reported by www.whatismyipaddress.com is the ntl web
    cache that you're connecting through, not the address of your
    machine. What do you mean by "The IP address reported by VNC
    server"? Is this on the local or remote machine? How are you trying
    to connect? Which version of VNC?

    Rob Morley, Jul 8, 2005
  4. Jon

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    My mums PC is a connected to a standalone cable modem via ethernet. It
    runs XP SP2 fully patched. Zonealarm Pro and Norton 2005 are installed.
    For the period of a couple of hours last night I carried all the
    attempts with ZA shutdown but I must admit it didn't cross my mind that
    NAV could be doing anything. Windows firewall was also turned off for
    the duration.

    I tried to get in from two machines - an Orange SPV-M2000 pocket PC
    phone. I use this to VNC into my own PC with no problems. I also
    attempted to NVC from my own PC. ALl attempts came back with "Unable to
    connect to server"

    I think I must try with NAV shutdown first perhaps? Thanks for your
    help.

    Jon, Jul 8, 2005
  5. Jon

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    When you hover the mouse over the VNC icon in the system tray it pops up
    your IP for a few seconds. The same IP is reported in network
    connections.
    I suppose it was the remote machine since that what I was trying to
    reach.
    Using my pocket PC phone and my own PC.
    TightVNC from www.tightvnc.com

    Jon, Jul 8, 2005
  6. Jon

    deKay Guest

    Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 8 Jul
    Well, my first action would be to wipe Norton from the machine, and never
    reinstall it. It causes more problems than it prevents, in my experience.

    deKay

    deKay, Jul 8, 2005
  7. Jon

    poster Guest

    Is there a chance that Windows XP's firewall is blocking the incoming
    request ? If Zone Alarm is on, does it report attempts (sorry, never
    tried that one, using Kerio firewall on one PC, and Tiny Software (it
    is the version Kerio's v2.15 one was based on) on another and use VNC
    OK, but via ADSL and routers to other locations). Peter M.

    poster, Jul 8, 2005
  8. Jon

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    I turned it off.
    It isn't. I shut it down.

    Jon, Jul 8, 2005
  9. Jon

    Brian Guest

    Why not install TightVNC on her PC

    TightVNC allows the server (Youe mum's PC) to simply connect to you which solves a lot of those
    NAT/Firewall problems i've had in the past. You just have to run the viewer in "Listen" mode, and
    configure your NAT/Firewall/router to leave port 5800 alone.

    Brian, Jul 8, 2005
  10. Jon

    poster Guest

    I've seen other comments which (from memory) suggested that was not always
    enough. As I indicated earlier, I've never used it myself to know (but as
    a result of comments I've seen posted, have no special wish to try it :)

    --

    E-mail + files - 30 day free trial - <http://web.vfm-deals.com/runbox/>
    Can be added as an MX record, so your domain mail gets stored safely,

    USENET news service ? <http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4> (plans from under US$5)

    poster, Jul 8, 2005
  11. Brian wrote, re VNC in listen mode:

    Port 5500 surely (unless you use a non-default value).
    UltraVNC is another VNC customised for Windows. I haven't worked enough
    with TightVNC to be able to compare.

    Best wishes,

    Michael Salem, Jul 9, 2005
  12. Jon

    Rob Morley Guest

    Port 5800 for TightVNC

    Rob Morley, Jul 9, 2005
  13. Jon

    poster Guest

    5800, 5801, etc - used from a browser running Java
    5900, 5901, etc - if you have (any) VNC application

    Peter M.

    poster, Jul 9, 2005
  14. I don't believe so. I've successfully connected to a laptop on NTL from
    Blueyonder (Telewest) using VNC - saved me a 20 mile round trip :)

    Peter

    Peter Andrews, Jul 9, 2005
  15. Port 5800 for TightVNC
    If you're running a listening VNC viewer, you need to open port 5500 if
    using defaults, for any VNC.

    See http://www.uk.research.att.com/archive/vnc/faq.html:
    "If you are running a viewer in 'listening' mode, where it accepts
    connections initiated by the server, it will listen for incoming VNC on
    port 5500"

    Best wishes,

    Michael Salem, Jul 10, 2005
  16. Jon

    Jon Guest

    a$-b$ declared for all the world to hear...
    So, if I opened 5500, 5800, 5801, 5900 and 5901 I ought to be able to
    establish a connection. Once that's done close ports one at a time until
    we reach the magic formula.

    Sounds like a plan to me! Thanks everyone.

    Jon, Jul 10, 2005
  17. Jon

    Brian Guest

    Correct, It's 5800 Sorry for the mistake :(

    Brian, Jul 10, 2005
  18. Jon

    poster Guest

    5801/5901 would only be needed if you set the 'screen' number (or whatever
    it is called) to be '1'... use 5805/5905 if you use '5' (some scanning
    s/w may have all of the ports listed)... I've certainly seen 5800/01/02
    in something called 'WotWeb' which looks for webservers and reports what
    it finds as an IP address, port number, and the software (assuming it did
    some form of identification) running there. Good luck with VNC. Peter M.

    poster, Jul 10, 2005
  19. Jon

    Linker3000 Guest

    UltraVNC is also worth a look - it has a nice file transfer mode, chat
    and an encryption plugin too. I've tried most VNC variants and stuck
    with this one.

    www.ultravnc.com

    Linker3000, Jul 11, 2005