VNC and port forwarding

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by JTM, Oct 12, 2009.

  1. JTM

    JTM Guest

    I'm away from home a fair bit, but sometimes need to sort out some printing
    and other work. So I'm trying to set up VNC

    My wife's (xp) wireless netbook has the IP 192.168.1.x (set using DHCP from
    the D-Link router)

    I've enabled port forwarding on the router for:
    'private IP' 192.168.1.20 (the first number),
    'all protocols',
    'start port 5900',
    'end port 5900' (+ the same off-set for each port) and using
    'connection PVC0'

    This seems to work all right. Is that it? or am I leaving something
    vulnerable to attacks?

    I wasn't sure what options might go in the 'protocols' setting

    TIA

    John

    JTM, Oct 12, 2009

  2. If you are using password authentication then that should be as safe as the
    strength of the chosen password.

    I would nail down the IP address of the netbook by setting it to be fixed
    and not rely on it getting the same address each time from DHCP.

    Is your home Internet on a fixed IP address or are you using DynDNS etc?

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Oct 12, 2009

  3. JTM

    Bernard Peek Guest

    VNC has a poor reputation for security. One reason is that it sends
    passwords as clear text. That may not be an issue if all you keep on the
    machine is your own personal data. If you keep any of your employer's
    data on the machine you should get their permission and advice.

    The usual advice for making VNC more secure is to use SSH tunnelling
    using stunnel or similar. The VNC server should then be locked so that
    only local users (including those using tunnels) can connect.

    Bernard Peek, Oct 12, 2009
  4. JTM

    JTM Guest

    Thanks to A R Gold, Alex Fraser and yourself for the replies.

    The home address is not fixed, so I'll need grandson or someone to
    switch on and tell me what it is. (whatismyip.com?)

    I'll have to read up on SSH tunnelling and address Reservation.

    So far though, this VNC seems easier than my attemps to set up home
    networks for XP, Vista, RISC OS and Mandriva / Kubuntu. Only partially
    managed that over the last few years while I seem to have VNC working
    within a week!

    Tomorrow I get to see if it works from France as well as it has from a
    couple of miles away.

    Thanks again

    John

    JTM, Oct 12, 2009
  5. http://www.dyndns.com/ is free will allow you to address the home by some
    chosen hostname (eg: ) regardless of its changing IP
    address, which should be far simpler.
    If you need help either opening the free account or installing the DynDNS
    client software then ask again.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Oct 12, 2009
  6. Sorry, that should of course be jtmhome.dyndns.org and not wot i rote b4.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Oct 12, 2009
  7. JTM

    robert Guest

    I'm using the free

    https://www.no-ip.com

    has worked flawlessly for a year on my father's pc.

    A good way of getting/checking the IP address of the remote PC is to get
    them to send you an email and look at the first received from in the
    headers/source - dynamic IP address dont change that often if you leave
    the router switched on.

    robert, Oct 13, 2009
  8. JTM

    JTM Guest

    Well I've been in France for a few days and today needed to try to print
    some documents at home in Lancs. Daughter switched wife's netbook on and
    grandson looked after the printer in the attic. VNC (ultraVNC actually
    'cos realvnc won't work with Vista) did the job and I'm a happy chappy.

    Thanks again folks.

    John

    JTM, Oct 17, 2009
  9. The free version of RealVNC won't work with Vista, you have to use the
    Personal Edition, which is about £20. Does UltraVNC have a "listening
    client" option? I find that very useful.

    Phil, London

    Philip Herlihy, Oct 18, 2009
  10. JTM

    JTM Guest

    It has UltraVNC viewer listen mode and UltraVNC viewer listen
    mode(Encrypted)

    JTM, Oct 18, 2009