VLAN Trunking Cisco Cat 5500 switch (multiple vlans per port) help please

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by BG, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. BG

    BG Guest

    I have what I thought was a simple trunking setup to setup, but am
    ahving difficulties getting it right.

    I have a service deliverd to me on a Cisco 2924 switch
    2 ports active
    vlan trunking turned on
    Port 1 has 10 vlans on it numbered 230-239
    Port 2 has 10 vlans on it numbered 240-249

    Right now I have 2 cisco 7513's receiving this data (one for each
    port)

    What I'd like to do is replace the 2 7513's with one 7206VXR box.
    (only using 1 Fast ether on the 7206)(data will fit the 100meg port)

    So I thought about running the 2 ports from the cisco 2924 into one of
    my Cat 5500 switches (that does support dot1q) combining the vlans
    onto one port and running that port to my cisco 7206.

    First I'm assuming this is possible?

    I'm assuming I could enable trunking on the 3 cat 5000 ports I need to
    use.
    Take the first port and run it to my 7206
    and the next 2 port and run them to the cat 2924
    Then I assume I could specify what vlans would be active on each port.
    aka: port 1 would have all 20 vlans on it. (nothing else)
    and port 2 would have vlans 230-239
    and port 3 would have vlans 240-249

    I think I have the ports setup properly
    but don't know how to assign the multiple vlans to each port
    (and make sure it excludes all other vlans from these ports as well)

    Any/all help/pointers greatly appreciated.

    BG, Sep 6, 2004

  2. With CatOS (x=module number)
    set trunk x/1 on dot1q 230-249
    set trunk x/2 on dot1q 230-239
    set trunk x/3 on dot1q 240-249

    With IOS
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 230-249
    etc.
    Hope this helps.

    Seppo Mannisto, Sep 6, 2004

  3. BG

    mh Guest

    What not have combine the VLANS on the 2924 unto one outbound trunk
    port (dot1q) to the 7206VXR ? It would be a simpler setup

    mh, Sep 6, 2004
  4. BG

    BG Guest

    Thanks, that helped
    but I could still not pass traffic across the vlans.

    Was kind of weir as well
    Show trunk x/1 for example did not show the status as trunking at
    first.
    Bunch of playing around (disabled port, converted it back to a non
    trunk port then setup for a trunking port again) then it finally went
    into the trunking mode.

    My Fast ether on my 7206 also showed up/up after the cat showed it was
    trunking.
    But still could not ping across the switch ports.

    Stupid thing is, this is a live network, that I can only experiment
    with for very short periods of time at the wee hours in the morning.

    May have to ry to mach this up in a lab to get the config proper.

    BG, Sep 7, 2004
  5. BG

    BG Guest

    I agree, but its one of those cases where our telco provides that 2924
    and they manage and don't let (read trust) us to manage it.

    Heck for that matter I could prolly eliminate the 2924 all together
    and just terminate on my 7206vxr. :)

    Actually to elaborate just a bit more.
    Down the road as usage increases, if I can get this vlan trunking
    working properly on the cat 5000, I will be able to split up these 20
    vlans to diff routers in our data center. (for load balancing
    purposes) They are PPPoE connections (aka dsl) and they eventually
    will saturate the cpu on the 7206. Hanging in at around 1000
    connections so far, with approx 50% cpu on the 7206vxr300.

    BG, Sep 7, 2004