VLAN Trunking - can you filter which ports are in a given trunk?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by DaZZa, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. DaZZa

    DaZZa Guest

    Greetings.

    I have a network which looks something like the rough diagram below

    ----------------
    | C3700 series |
    | |
    ---------------

    | Link A

    --------------- Link B ---------------
    | C3508 Switch|------------|C2950 Switch |
    | "D" | | "A |
    -------------- --------------

    | Link C

    ---------------
    |C2950 Switch |
    | "C" |
    --------------

    Each C2950 is a "T" model, and has a gigabit link back to the 3508,
    and also has other switches cascaded off it.

    Link A, Link B & Link C are all trunks.

    I have VLAN's numbered 2, 3, 4, 5 for example, and I want to have the
    following happen

    Link A carries traffic for all VLAN's
    Link B Carries traffic for VLAN's 2, 4 & 5
    Link C Carries traffic for VLAN 3 only

    Is this possible? I've attempted to use the commands

    switchport mode trunk
    switch port trunk allowed vlan 3

    on the port being used for linking switch "C" with switch "D", but I can
    find no indication that it's actually working.

    Is there some way of monitoring which VLAN's are actually being trunked
    out a given port using debug or a show option, or as I asking too much?

    The 2950T's are running software version 12.1(14). The 3508 is running
    software version 12.0(5.1) as they are somewhat older.

    Any help appreciated

    DaZZa

    DaZZa, Feb 16, 2004