VLAN trunk between Cat 6500 and Force 10 S50

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by shuhuang2002, May 7, 2007.

  1. shuhuang2002

    shuhuang2002 Guest

    Hi all,
    I am trying to establish a vlan trunk between a 6500, which runs
    native IOS, and a Force 10 S50 which runs SFTOS 2.5.1. Since I want it
    transparent to end users behind the S50, I configure the S50 to do the
    tagging. Basically, ports 2-30 of the S50 are configured as VLAN 100,
    ports 31-48 are configured as VLAN 101. Port 1, which is connected to
    the 6500 is within both VLAN 100 and 101. All ports are tagged. On
    the 6500 side, the port is configured as a switchport in trunk mode,
    which encapsulates 802.1q and allows VLAN 100 and 101.
    I felt this was a simple problem but it took me two days without being
    able to figure out why my configuration could not work. I ping'ed from
    a computer behind the S50 to a port of 6500, which is within the same
    subnet and I saw the arp reply from the port of 6500 using port
    monitoring. However, the arp reply messege obviousely did not go back
    to the computer.
    If someone has a clue, I would be really appreciate if some light can
    be shed.
    Shu

    shuhuang2002, May 7, 2007

  2. could be that the catalyst replies in native VLAN, which is allways
    untagged, hence you should allow VLAN1 as native VLAN on the trunk port.

    HTH
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, May 10, 2007