VLAN inside a ISP MPLS network

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by M, May 11, 2007.

  1. M

    M Guest

    Hi,

    I have two offices/locations connected together with an MPLS network
    (ISP supplied).
    My ISP tels me that it works just like an Ethernet cable in both ends.

    On one of my locations I have an working setup with two Cisco switch
    2960. I have trunking between them and it works just fine.
    If I move one om the switches to the other location, the trunking does
    not work.

    Does the vlan tagging work though an MPLS network?
    Should the setup work?

    This is my port config on both sides.

    interface FastEthernet0/27
    description Trunk
    switchport trunk native vlan 9
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-99
    switchport mode trunk
    switchport nonegotiate

    Best Regards
    Martin

    M, May 11, 2007

  2. Maybe, if they've configured it that way vs. a number of other ways.
    Maybe not. There's a few options either way.
    Yes, if the ISP is configured to allow trunking to happen.

    Doug McIntyre, May 11, 2007

  3. M

    da.carlo Guest

    Martin,

    We purchased an Optiman circuit a while back and were told the same
    thing. Once installed come to find out that trunking isn't supported.
    We had to configure our ports as switchport mode access. In that
    respect it works as an ethernet cable. You may want to test your
    connectivity using an access vlan first to make sure the link works.

    Carlo

    da.carlo, May 11, 2007
  4. M

    Peter Guest

    Hi Martin,
    That depends.......;-) It really comes down to what TYPE of Ethernet
    "emulation" is being provided for your WAN link. If it is provided as
    an ACCESS WAN Link then no, the VLAN info will be stripped at source.
    If it is provided as a true TRUNK WAN link then yes, VLAN Tagging will
    be preserved.

    You really need to talk to your WAN provider as this is 100% in their
    area of concern.

    Good luck..............pk.

    Peter, May 11, 2007