Visual Step by Step guide for setting up Wi Fi connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Nov 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guys can you help me please , my step dad is being a ****. He has bought a
    new Laptop and desperately wants to connect it to the net Wirelessly. I have
    gone out bought and set up an entire wireless link within the house using
    DLink equiptment. It works perfectly we've got access points all over the
    place and the whole house is covered. I can walk about effortlessly with my
    PSP at %100.
    Here's the thing, he can't work out how to start a WI Fi connection, he
    won't let me do it for him and he's asking some **** at work how to do it!!!
    I know, I can't believe it, I've just spent over £100 sorting out his Wi Fi
    and he'd rather trust some kid from work that he doesn't even know! What a
    discrace, that's why he's a step dad and not a real one! Anyway, get this, he
    wont even tell me the make of his laptop, can you believe it? It's like
    sybling rivalry and there's 15 years between us.
    I do know it's an Aser Aspire, Intel Duo with 1GB ram and 60GB HDD. I know
    because my mother and I went out and chose it for him!!!! When will he learn!
    I also know that it is running Windows XP Home Edition and is termed Wi Fi
    ready.
    Is there some where with screen shots of the step by step guide to start a
    new connection and link up to the Houses Wi Fi?
    I've had a route around and I can't find one but I know there must be one
    somewhere.
    Meanwhile the Wi Fi is un encrypted so as to make it easier for him.
    Guys you really don't know the stuff I have to put up with.
    So any help would be apreciated.

    Guest, Nov 26, 2006

  2. Guest

    David Hettel Guest

    As a step dad let me say I'm sorry for the pain and mistrust you are
    experiencing. I pray that things get better for you and your family.

    Is it indeed an Aser Aspire, or could it be an Acer Aspire?

    Let me ask what you have done to the wireless to provide security? You say
    you're not using encryption, are you broadcasting (enabled) SSID? If so this
    should be a walk in the park for your step Dad.

    This page may help.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/homenet.mspx

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 26, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi David,
    Yep I know the step dad job is a difficult role, I just thought it could be
    more friendly!!!
    Don't dwell on that though, It is indeed an Acer Aspire and there is no
    encyption so It is a walk in the park.
    All he has to do is follow wizards.....

    Guest, Nov 26, 2006
  4. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 26, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Jack, I never knew about the switch although it seems obvious now.
    I'll plough through these and pass them on.
    Ta.

    Guest, Nov 26, 2006
  6. Guest

    David Hettel Guest

    Basically when he turns on his laptop if the wireless is turn on, (generally
    an LED will light up) it should find the wireless network (if you have SSID
    enabled) He should be prompted to join the network, and that's it to get
    basic access to the Internet. Any idea where it is failing, or what is going
    wrong?

    David Hettel, Nov 26, 2006