Visual Basic Programmer Needed

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Luke O'Malley, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Hi Programmer,

    I use Daytimer Organizer 2000. One of it's facilities is the ability to
    select a number of records and have them sent to an 'external' word
    processor for the purpose of mail merging.

    This facility lists a number of word processors, but WordXP is the one I
    am interested in. The facility allows you to select the location of the
    word processor. It semi automatically selects a macro - you can change
    the name of the macro. These macros are located in the same directory
    as Daytimer's executable file..

    Daytimer stopped their software and support a few years ago. The
    program will allow you to select up to Word 2000, but the macro it says
    to use is not included on the CD or the install. It does have the macro
    for Word97, which cannot be installed on XP. I used it successfully
    until I 'upgraded' to XP.

    I believe someone familiar with Word macros and Visual Basic would not
    have much trouble in writing a macro for XP.

    Any takers? Fees?

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    P.S. I can mail a copy of Daytimer on a CD if necessary or the macros by
    email..

    Luke O'Malley, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Luke O'Malley

    SgtMinor Guest

    Isn't Word XP backward compatible? Surely it can open Word97 files (and
    it can probably save files in Word 97 format).

    SgtMinor, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Luke O'Malley

    MahaRaj Guest

    MahaRaj, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Luke O'Malley

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I don't see why you need any macros at that point using VB. You should be
    able to have a VB program through code manipulate the file and do what the
    macro was doing I would think.

    Just what is the macro doing that a MS Word object (MS Word Dll) cannot be
    instantiated in VB code and do?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 21, 2004
  5. I tried to install some older MS program and I received a ms that it wasn't a
    32 bit program, etc., and it would not install it. I tried your suggestion .
    .. . I feel like an idiot! It works seamlessly. It was like finding out the
    reason my computer wouldn't boot was that it wasn't plugged in.

    Many, many, many thanks,
    Goodwill,
    Luke

    P.S. Are Word 97 & Word XP files different formats? I haven't had any
    problem with all my 97 files under XP.

    Luke O'Malley, Jul 21, 2004
  6. Duane,

    Thank you for your advice. It turns out I installed Word 97 and everything is
    working perfectly.

    Luke

    Luke O'Malley, Jul 21, 2004
  7. Thank you for your suggestion. It turns out I only had to reinstall Word 97
    to get everything to work.

    Luke

    Luke O'Malley, Jul 21, 2004
  8. Luke O'Malley

    SgtMinor Guest

    It always gives me a thrill to make someone feel like an idiot.
    The formats are probably similar but there will be some coding that the
    previous version cannot interpret.

    SgtMinor, Jul 21, 2004