Vista, XP x64 Pro or XP Pro... that is the question.

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    hi!

    I'm a web and graphic deisgner who's been "getting by" with XP Home now for
    a long time but as I already have a 64-bit laptop, I'm thinking I made the
    leap to something more powerful... especially as I've just set up a server
    with domain control that XP Home can't log-in to!

    Thing is, I'm wondering what to go for... get an OEM XP x64 Pro, wait for
    Vista x64 (when is vista due for general release by the way? and why is it
    taking so long for XP x64 Pro to go retail?) or just upgrade to XP Pro.

    If someone could let me know the advantages.disadvantages, costs, wait
    times, reliability etc. I'd be very grateful. Thanks

    My laptop is:

    Compaq R3479ea
    AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2Ghz Processor
    80GB HDD
    512Mb Ram (soon to be 1GB)
    NVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go 64M

    Guest, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    And by the way, my main Apps are: Adobe Creative Suite CS2, Dreamweaver MX
    2004, Flash 8, Office XP, Fireworks MX 2004.

    I have a seperate desktop PC I'm gonna keep on 32-bit Xp, so i'll use that
    for anything I can't get 64bit drvers for in the meantime.

    Guest, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 9, 2006
  4. If you are to XP Pro x86 you can use the upgrade option from Home. However,
    XP Pro x64 must be a clean install. Keep in mind that if you install XP Pro
    x64 you will have to do another clean install when moving to Vista.

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 9, 2006
  5. *If you are moving to..."

    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 9, 2006
  6. * Maff:
    What do you mean with "more powerful"?
    Simply speaking, if you don't have any x64 apps that you have to use or
    more than 4GB of memory then stay away from Windowsxp x64 or Vista x64.
    The 32bit versions do all you want, and this probably even better than
    the x64 versions. Unlike what people believe 64bit doesn't mean it's
    faster than 32bit, so unless you have a very good reason to move I'd
    strongly recommend to stay with 32bit Windows...

    This is even more true with such a low RAM amount your notebook has and
    where the 32bit versions (WinXP Pro or Vista x86 later) are already
    suffering. For your tasks you will get much more performance when
    investing in some more RAM...

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Aug 9, 2006