Vista won't start after sata driver update

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Southern Kiwi, Aug 23, 2007.

  1. One for all the windows bashers to get their teeth into no doubt...

    Acer Aspire 5100, all working fine until last night.
    Attempted a driver update offered via win update, this failed.

    This morning, laptop won't boot, system recovery does not work and
    factory/driver recovery is on a partition on the hard drive. (No DVD/CD
    included. grrrrr)

    I can get to a command prompt.

    I could do a factory reset. (but I don't want to lose all my data)
    I used to have the option to recovery drivers from here, but can't seem
    to get to this...

    Vista cannot find my backup (I do have another partition that i can get
    most stuff of, but not emails, settings etc)

    Is there a way I can "roll back drivers" from the command prompt?

    Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, Aug 23, 2007

  2. Southern Kiwi

    thingy Guest

    This was your error...hardware drivers via windows update is a big no no...
    Pass....do let us know....one day I will have vista...of course 2~3
    years from now it will be stable...

    :/

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 23, 2007

  3. Another thought, can I "re install" just the system files? I can't see
    how automatically, but could i copy the original hd drivers?

    I can navigate the c: via command prompt, could I copy the program files
    directory to the D: partition then copy it back after the factory reset?

    If so what is the syntax? copy c:\program files *.* d:\ ? will this
    get the sub directories?

    Southern Kiwi, Aug 23, 2007
  4. Southern Kiwi

    impossible Guest

    If you can get to the Windows advanced startup menu (F8 key on boot) you
    might have a shot by selecting the option to "use last known good
    configuration". This rolls backs the registry and driver entries to the most
    recent settings that worked.

    impossible, Aug 23, 2007
  5. Southern Kiwi

    Wayne Sallee Guest

    Southern Kiwi wrote on 8/23/2007 5:43 PM:
    I don't know if you have sufficient drivers at the c
    prompt to copy to a cd, but if so that would be the
    best way to go, or some other item off of the
    computer, like a usb hard drive, or to another
    computer via network.

    Wayne Sallee

    Wayne Sallee, Aug 23, 2007
  6. Southern Kiwi

    Wayne Sallee Guest

    impossible wrote on 8/23/2007 6:17 PM:
    Yep, you definitely want to try that if you haven't
    yet done so.

    Wayne Sallee

    Wayne Sallee, Aug 23, 2007
  7. Southern Kiwi

    impossible Guest

    It's the associated system registry entries that you need -- the ones
    overwritten by the bad driver "update" -- and these can only be recreated
    successfully with a complete system recovery or repair reinstallation.
    Just salvaging your installed program files won't work, because you'll be
    losing all the system registry entries for those programs when you
    re-install Windows.

    Assuming here that nothing else has worked for you yet by way of recovery,
    maybe you should concentrate on saving your data files -- "My Documents",
    email, bookmarks, etc. From a command prompt, use:

    xcopy Source Destination /s /e

    Other xcopy options are documented here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/xcopy.mspx?mfr=true

    impossible, Aug 23, 2007
  8. Thanks for that, working my through xcopy now :-(

    Southern Kiwi, Aug 23, 2007
  9. Southern Kiwi

    Fred Dagg Guest

    If Last Known Good doesn't work, can you get into Safe Mode? If so,
    you should then be able to remove the offending driver (or rollback to
    prior to the driver install).

    1. Restart the PC.
    2. As soon as the boot up begins, press the F8 key. It's more
    successful if you tap continually at F8 until the Advanced Boot
    Options menu appears
    3. If you receive a "keyboard error" message, reboot the PC and start
    again. .
    4. Using the arrow keys select Safe Mode if it is not selected.
    5. Select Safe mode and then press Enter.

    Fred Dagg, Aug 24, 2007
  10. Ended up xcopying everything i could, did a factor reset, then restored
    a week old backup off another partition.
    (the restoration from backup was a pita, didn't get account settings,
    emails etc)
    manual copied emails, favorites etc back.

    Now to clean up all the double ups and crap.....

    Cheers Skiwi

    Southern Kiwi, Aug 25, 2007
  11. Southern Kiwi

    Jasen Betts Guest

    nah, I'll just try to convert you :)
    try booting knoppix (or other linux live CD) if you can see the data
    using that maybe you can get it out of that box over the lan.

    or put the hard disk in an external enclosure...

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Sep 9, 2007