    system, a new critical vulnerability has arisen as a retort to Microsoft's
    claims. ...

    <http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/10732/53/>

    Au79, Mar 24, 2007

  2. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    This is nearly impossible to exploit as first the hacker needs to get a file on to the target computer and then the
    user has to click on link in the mail message to execute the file. If you practice safe computing this will not
    happen.

    Fuzzy Logic, Mar 27, 2007

  3. Au79

    kraftee Guest

    Hang on here, with the great mass of unwashed masses out there, who
    haven't even heard of safe hex, it'll happen. There have been many
    viruses propagated by such means & even when widely publicised they
    still do it as they just DON'T think. The number of times I've been
    sent on broadband problems & in the notes it states 'connection has
    never worked ever since they've had (read still have in most cases) a
    virus (or words to that effect)& when you get there they just have no
    idea. Normally they blame the kids who, mostly, are more PC savy than
    they are (but not always) & when I get there they expect me to sort
    out their PC problem & not the broadband connection.

    I had one end user who swore blind it was my firms fault & was going
    to take them to court, yada yada yada, & the
    problem............................................was that he had
    downloaded a premium rate dialer & as he was using a USB broadband
    'modem' it had taken over the 'dialup' so it couldn't even login.
    Found 3 manually before I charged him & walked out leaving him with
    egg on his face. This was after a virtual nationwide publicity scare
    about such things as well.

    Just because most (but not all) users of this group (this will include
    lurkers such as I am normally) are sensible about such things the
    majority aren't & just don't want to know and can't be bothered. this
    will range from supposed IT proffesionals* to the basic turn on & it
    works type of users.

    * Worked/installed & tested a broadband connection to a software
    developement company, I was 'reliably informed by their IT dept that
    anti virus software was useless & then the 4 who had BBS's started
    talking amongst themselves about how everyone of them had been taken
    'off air' by viri the previous weekend & they couldn't even put the 2
    together. All I'll say is that I'm glad I don't do business with
    them...

    kraftee, Mar 28, 2007
  4. Au79

    Fuzzy Logic Guest

    No amount of software checks can protect people from their own stupidity as illustrated by this cartoon:

    http://outside.arc.ab.ca/staff/erkamp/security.jpg

    Fuzzy Logic, Mar 28, 2007