    [16:45] <***> don't use vista then
    [16:45] <******> how am I going to burn an XP cd to get back :p

    Hehe.... I think most ppl would dual boot....or I hope anyway :)

    XPD, Oct 8, 2006

  2. Does Vista support dual-booting?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2006

  3. XPD

    Rob Guest

    Bollocks.

    Every betq & rc I've tried so far recognises other versions of windows
    and will write a boot.ini including them if you choose the right options.

    So far Vista does not recognise other operating systems than MS, which I
    think is a bad marketing mistake, but at this stage it does multi-boot
    with w2k & xp. I haven't tried with 9*.

    Rob, Oct 8, 2006
  4. XPD

    MaHogany Guest

    Probably to the same extent that M$ WinNT5.1 supports dual booting - IOW
    no.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 8, 2006
  5. XPD

    Enkidu Guest

    Windows has always supported dual-booting, in the sense that you can
    boot multiple (and non-Microsoft) operating systems using the MS
    bootloader (NTLoadr). You just have to know how to tweak boot.ini.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 8, 2006
  6. XPD

    MaHogany Guest

    Is there a GUI for doing that?

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 8, 2006
  7. XPD

    Fred Dagg Guest

    a) Windows XP is called Windows XP, not "WinNT5.1". Calling it by it's
    internal version number makes you look like a tool.

    b) Please get your facts right. Both Windows XP and Windows Vista
    happily support Dual Booting out-of-the-box.

    Fred Dagg, Oct 8, 2006
  8. XPD

    MarkH Guest

    I googled and found a program called image burn that will burn an image
    file and it works under Vista. I downloaded and tried it and it worked
    fine.

    I have 2 separate OS boot HDDs and use the BIOS to choose which one to boot
    from - no problem booting either XP Pro or Vista RC2.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 8, 2006
  9. XPD

    jasen Guest

    Hehe the fool was (apparently) using a pirate copy of XP...

    jasen, Oct 8, 2006
  10. XPD

    MaHogany Guest

    But if you install Windoze onto a HDD that already has an OS installed,
    and you're wanting to have a dual-boot arrangement, WinNT5.x will
    overwrite the MBR and set up the system to only boot into WinNT5.x

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 8, 2006
  11. XPD

    Fred Dagg Guest

    No it wont.

    And it's called "Windows XP", ignoramus.

    Fred Dagg, Oct 8, 2006
  12. Or it makes _you_ look like someone ashamed of XP and Vista's NT origins.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2006
  13. But those were only betas. Who knows if that feature won't be dropped to
    meet the schedule as we get closer to final release? :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2006
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2006
  15. XPD

    Rob Guest

    Get off the grass Lawrence.

    "Ashamed of XP and Vista's NT origins"?

    Why does calling something by the names it is marketed under be
    something to be ashamed of?

    You raise a lot of interesting and valid points at times, but your
    insistence on calling MS products by their internal version number or
    derogatory terms like winblows and dimdows does nothing for your cause
    and gives the impression that you are at best a troll and at worst a
    total ignoramus.

    I notice you call Mac osx and Gentoo by their better known public names,
    not "Mac OS X 10.4.7 (8K1079)" and "2.6.16-gentoo-r9 i686 Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz Gentoo Base System version 1.6.15 "

    I multi-boot 2 versions of windows and 2 linux distros, and for clarity
    it is better to post "Ubuntu 6.06" (giving the version number only in
    context) than "Linux Thor 2.6.15-27-386 #1 PREEMPT Sat Sep 16 01:51:59
    UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux",.

    Rob, Oct 8, 2006
  16. XPD

    Blue Guest

    Some hope, but then again we all live in hope.

    Blue, Oct 8, 2006
  17. XPD

    Blue Guest

    Nope, PAY us MS all of your $, and leave all to us in your will.

    Blue, Oct 8, 2006
  18. XPD

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Eh?

    Forgeting for a second how stupid that comment was, NT is a solid
    foundation.

    Grow up, Lawrence.

    Fred Dagg, Oct 8, 2006
  19. So why would using the NT name make you "look like a tool"?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 9, 2006
  20. I thought that that was his point.

    Rupert Boleyn, Oct 9, 2006