Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by whome, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. whome

    whome Guest

    whome, Jan 30, 2007

  2. whome

    Fred Guest

    Fred, Jan 30, 2007

  3. whome

    whome Guest

    I don't intend on purchasing for some time but will certainly source a
    cheaper version from overseas at that time.

    I resent the pricing policy - if anything it should be cheaper here cos our
    wages are much less than in the US.

    whome, Jan 30, 2007
  4. whome

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Corel does the same. Purchase downloadable software from their website, and
    it asks you what country you're in and adjusts the price to suit. NZ prices
    are nearly double US prices. Though you can just tell it you're in the US
    and save nearly 50%. Or so I've heard :p

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 30, 2007
  5. whome

    AD. Guest

    There are many other factors to be considered: stamp duty, window tax,
    swamp insurance, hen food, dog biscuits, cow ointment - the expenses
    are endless.

    AD., Jan 30, 2007
  6. whome

    Rob S Guest

    Probably does automatic country checking via your ip address. Set up a
    US based proxy though...

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Unix, BASIC, C, PASCAL, APL, ADA, and PROFANITY spoken here.

    Rob S, Jan 30, 2007
  7. whome

    Phil Guest

    AD. wrote, On 30/01/07 2.41 p:
    However, the final boxes are assembled in Indonesia (or somewhere around
    there). Similar costs must apply to bring it to the US as it does to
    bring it to NZ.

    -Phil

    Phil, Jan 30, 2007
  8. whome

    noddy Guest

    I hope you are whining that we are poor and so they should take pityon
    us and charge us less. No, I am sure you are not as lame as that.

    If you are suggesting that because their wages bill is lower in their
    NZ branch then their software should be cheaper, you misunderstand how
    businesses run. They price according to profitability, and unit costs
    not just staffing costs. They set a target for their profits below
    which it is not worth their while having the hassle of running the
    joint. Given the the average kiwi home and business user runs pirated
    software without a qualm and given the pathetically small size of our
    business economy the pickings in NZ are relatively lean for MS. They
    ramp up their costs until their projections show they have reached an
    optimum level of price and turnover for maximum profit. In the US
    they do exactly the same. The difference is that in the US their
    turnover is so much greater that their per unit costs are much lower
    than in NZ, thus their optimum selling price is lower.

    noddy, Jan 30, 2007
  9. whome

    impossible Guest

    Wow! All this time time I thought no one could possibly believe the
    nonsense they're taught in intro econ and business courses. But you're
    living proof that I was wrong.

    impossible, Jan 30, 2007
  10. whome

    Bobs Guest

    Buy Office 2007 instead. XP is robust and I don't see the need to
    update to Vista. Office 2003 is old and creaky and stale, and Office
    2007 is far superior and the leader in its field by a large margin.

    Bobs, Jan 30, 2007
  11. whome

    ashiri Guest

    A similar question was asked by APC mag regarding pricing of Vista in
    Aus. I got the impression that the answer from MS's Aus boss was less
    that convincing.

    I reckon the answer is solely about maximising profits. Perhaps the
    price will come down if uptake fails to meet targets.

    I'll also look for more info on the pricing for Canada & India.

    ashiri, Jan 30, 2007
  12. whome

    noddy Guest

    I look forward to your point by point rebuttal

    noddy, Jan 30, 2007
  13. whome

    noddy Guest

    (snip)

    So you are suggesting we are all crooks ? ... or even that there is a larger
    number of crooks in NZ than elsewhere ? :)

    I can only assume you are making this up, as there is no data (to my
    knowledge) to back that up.

    I note that 78.5 % of statistics are made up ... but your suggestion is just
    silly, even amongst the made up stats. :)
    [/QUOTE]
    of course I made it up :)

    NZ is a very honest country - just have a look

    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_sof_pir_rat-crime-software-piracy-rate

    noddy, Jan 30, 2007
  14. whome

    Peter Guest

    Yes, pricing when you are a monopoly is much different to what happens in a
    market where customers have choice. Where you have monopoly power over a
    market, you can price far higher, up to what the market can bear.
    Also, check other countries. IIRC prices for WinXP in Thailand were v cheap
    (this is MS versions, not the backyard copies).

    Peter

    Bruce Sinclair, Jan 30, 2007
  16. whome

    whome Guest

    I'm sure they can't argue support costs are higher - I don't believe MS
    gives free support outside of their 0900 lines.

    Economies of scale arguments or shipping cost arguments don't work - it's
    just dvd that could be posted anywhere in the world for a couple of bucks.

    whome, Jan 30, 2007
  17. whome

    Fred Dagg Guest

    You are wrong. Microsoft's support is actually surprisingly good,
    compared with other OS producers.

    They also have a tollfree number - 0800 800 004

    --
    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Fred Dagg, Jan 30, 2007
  18. whome

    Mathew Good Guest

    (snip)

    So you are suggesting we are all crooks ? ... or even that there is a larger
    number of crooks in NZ than elsewhere ? :)

    I can only assume you are making this up, as there is no data (to my
    knowledge) to back that up.

    I note that 78.5 % of statistics are made up ... but your suggestion is just
    silly, even amongst the made up stats. :)
    [/QUOTE]

    A friend was in Indonesia recently and his Glasses need replacing, bifocal ones, well a local
    Indonesian shop made a copy for him for $20nz including new modern metal frames, nice slim lens,
    only took a hour to do it.

    Here would cost some $700nz

    I thing that here in NZ we are totally being ripped off, so charge as much as you can get away with
    and the government sits on its hands and does nothing.

    Mathew Good, Jan 30, 2007
  19. whome

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Actually, $576+GST. Still a little high, though.

    Fred Dagg, Jan 30, 2007
  20. whome

    whome Guest

    Possibly the govt could loosen the stranglehold certain professions maintain
    on their membership base. This would of course increase the competitveness
    of those professions.

    whome, Jan 30, 2007