Vista Ultimate 64bit/Windows Defender

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Apr 7, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Windows Defender does not start in Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. The
    following error appears: "Windows Defender: Application failed to
    initialize: 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop. To
    start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how
    to start a service manually."

    When I try to start the service I get the next error: "Windows could not
    start the Windows Defender service on Local Computer. Error 0x80096010: The
    digital signature of the object did not verify."

    When I download the lastest version of Windows Defender x64 ver. 7 and try
    to install it I get "You do not need to install this software because
    Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. You can access Windows
    Defender from the Security section of the Windows Control Panel."

    If I try to access Windows Defender from the security section, I get the
    first error.

    The recommended procedure stated by support is to remove then re-install,
    but there is no Windows Defender listed to remove or uninstall in the remove
    program section of the Control Panel.

    Guest, Apr 7, 2007

  2. Guest

    mikeyhsd Guest

    check your updates, there has been more than one as I remember for the defender engine as well as numerous definition updates.

    mikeyhsd, Apr 7, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi Mike,
    All updates appear to be downloaded and installed successfully. But if I
    check for more updates it will state I need to install the same update again
    (and again ...). The current update will always want to be installed until
    the next update comes along.
    All update for Windows Defender are installed successfully according the
    the Update History log. And I still get the same errors upon starting the
    service or try to access Windows Defender.
    In the Windows Security Center it show Windows defender is "on", but the
    Windows Sevices "Windows Defender" is set for Automatic" startup, but is not
    started nor can you start it, you will recieve the error "...0x80096010...".

    Guest, Apr 7, 2007
  4. Guest

    mikeyhsd Guest

    what I meant and did not say was maybe uninstalling the defender updates and then trying to download the newer defended from MS might work.
    you might download the newer defender before uninstalling the updates.

    mikeyhsd, Apr 7, 2007
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    There are no entries for Windows Defender nor any updates for Windows
    Defender listed to be uninstalled. Nor is Windows Defender located in the
    "Windows Feature" that can be removed.

    Guest, Apr 8, 2007
  6. Guest

    mikeyhsd Guest

    did you click on the View Updates in the left column.
    might have to cross reference them with info from the kb articles.

    other than something like that I have no idea what else to try.

    mikeyhsd, Apr 8, 2007
  7. Guest

    DP Guest

    What about a repair install of Vista?