Vista Ultimate 32-Bit or 64-Bit ~~ Which is the way to go??

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Seidell23231, Mar 5, 2008.

  1. Seidell23231

    Seidell23231 Guest

    OK, it appears that with a clean install, I can in fact move over to the
    64-Bit world! My PC is an HP Pavillion Elite m9150f. The basic spec's are
    as follows:

    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    3GB DDR 2 RAM
    NVIDIA 8500GT with 256MB Dedicated
    720GB HD @ 7800RPM (2 320GB HD's in RAID 0 Config)

    New system, still at factory level. Use it heavy in the Office 2008 arena.
    Play RPG style games; Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights, Call to Duty 2 & 4. Use
    Quicken 2008, iTunes (Movies, Music, iPhone) and all of the factory loaded
    software. My system has a twin on the HP Shopping site, same ID, but ships
    with Vista 64-Bit. The retail version (mine) shipped with the 32-Bit. My
    thinking, that most of the general crowd is satisfied with the 32-Bit scheme.

    However, since I do believe the 64-Bit OS is the future, I am seriously
    considering the up date now. Reasoning, New system and everything is at the
    factory level with NO software loaded yet.

    So, with the above in consideration, what is the Guru Recommendation:
    Retaine the 32-Bit OS or switch to the 64-Bit OS??? Please explain your
    reasoning and recommendation...

    Thanks Gunny

    Seidell23231, Mar 5, 2008

  2. Check the forums for the games and iPhone if they are known to be fully
    functional under Vista x64 then go for it. I still would at least ask HP
    what the support implications will be, however. What can it hurt to ask?
    Just because they support the computer when they preinstall x64 doesn't mean
    they will if the user does it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 5, 2008

  3. Seidell23231

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> "Colin
    iTunes (and the iPhone components) are now totally x64 compatible, with
    one catch, you must start the download using Internet Explorer. If you
    use Firefox, you'll only be offered the x86 version of iTunes.

    Apple has indicated they'll continue to direct users to the
    most-likely-correct version, but offer the other version as an alternate
    link at some point in the future, but it hadn't happened as of the last
    time I downloaded iTunes x64.

    DevilsPGD, Mar 5, 2008
  4. Seidell23231

    xGamer Guest

    Hello,

    Your pc should run x64 without any problems. However, It is mentioned all
    over the web about the issues with x64 and ms office. I'm also not too sure
    how your games will run either. I have a pc that is a year old but have a
    9600 gt card and 4gb ram. I tried Home Premium x64 but couldn't play most of
    my games for one reason or another. (Directx 10 is also slower on vista than
    DX9 on Win XP.) Graphically, Call of Duty 4 looked exactly the same on DX9/XP
    as it did on Vista X64/DX 10 so I personally don't see that as being a good
    reason to switch. I also don't like the fact that it's not straight x64. You
    will install most software to the x86 directory. The 32bit version does
    support multiple cores and for me, x64 didn't really seem any faster.

    I am actually thinking about picking up an OEM version of XP Pro x64 since
    there are more games and software that support that over vista it seems.

    Just my thoughts,
    Chris

    xGamer, Mar 10, 2008