    Jtyc Guest

    Any really, that is all that matters! :)

    Exactly.

    Jtyc, Jun 13, 2007

  2. kpg

    Thor Guest

    Office and sharepoint seems more mature to me.
    problems with sharepoint?

    Thor, Jun 13, 2007

  3. kpg

    Jtyc Guest

    problems with sharepoint?

    I don't even know where to start...

    Jtyc, Jun 13, 2007
  4. kpg

    FrisbeeĀ® Guest

    Well, there's your problem right there!

    FrisbeeĀ®, Jun 13, 2007
  5. kpg

    Jtyc Guest

    Well, there's your problem right there!

    That's a negative good buddy.

    I guess I could write-up the whole thing in the rants n raves section on the
    site...

    Jtyc, Jun 13, 2007
  6. kpg

    Thor Guest

    problems with sharepoint?
    Sorry about that.

    Just installed it and tried to press on a few things, seemed fine (but then
    first impressions can lie).
    Anything with office (tried a lot but not so much visio and project) and
    yeah, the groove thing: I don't like it so much, there is something about
    the sync that seems not in sync.

    53

    Thor, Jun 14, 2007
  7. kpg

    Jtyc Guest

    Just installed it and tried to press on a few things, seemed fine (but then
    On a lot of levels it's very good. If you are going for a customized
    deployment you may run into snags. Microsoft is aware of many of the issues
    and are working very hard to fix them right now.

    Jtyc, Jun 15, 2007
  8. kpg

    Thor Guest

    Only thing I found was that performance seemed sub-
    optimal.
    Maybe some OLAP people should look at it?

    I would be thinking
    - mostly read data in a seperate db
    - queued updates through sql service broker
    - active use of ASP.NET caching

    or even
    <does_not_scale_argument senirority="needed" discuss="happy to">
    Custom Internet Server (also custom .NET hoster of course) with
    - delayed write functionality when ever possible
    - fenomenal AJAX performance for read by GET-requests
    - as much kernel-mode caching as possible
    - precaching and delayed load of assemblies
    - willingness to put in WS Core vNext+1 (if SQL follows) to minimize
    complexity
    </does_not_scale_argument>

    and the VB people on the architecture group... restrict them to the
    UI.
    I might not be the most politically correct figure, but I've found
    that some time things needs to be put out directly without filtering.
    (If I am wrong in the assumption that VB-people has had something to
    do with the architecture taking out performance all together: feel
    happy to let me know in your worst style)

    53

    Thor, Jun 16, 2007
  9. kpg

    Jtyc Guest

    Only thing I found was that performance seemed sub-
    Have you configured your output and object caching? There are also some
    warm-up scripts available that will cache the site for you that you can put
    on a schedule.

    Jtyc, Jun 18, 2007
  10. kpg

    Thor Guest

    Only thing I found was that performance seemed sub-
    No. I'm sure that helps.

    It was just an impression and not properly measured. I think that these kind
    of things are so data and computational insensitive that I expect instant
    reply. I might forget the overhead added by security mechanisms, I don't
    know. Of course, I might be on thin ice complaining about the speed of my
    car not certain if it runs on gasoline or diesel...

    I remember when using ISAPI/ODBC data access took for ever (measured in ms),
    growing odbc log files was one of my mistakes slowing down my SCSI Pentium
    Pro Webserver to an expensive toaster.

    With in-memory .NET provider things are different. What I expect is that
    Sharepoint in a similar way can be made to run faster. And will be in a
    later version. My (maybe outdated) knowledge of ASP.NET is that all
    (possibly) dependent assemblies are loaded when a module is first loaded.

    53

    Thor, Jun 19, 2007