    I'm about to roll back the sp2.

    ....or install 98 on the vista machine.

    0x22

    kpg, Jun 8, 2007

  2. kpg

    CBIC Guest

    Please tell me you aren't running Vista on a production network before SP1
    comes out.

    CBIC, Jun 8, 2007

  3. kpg

    kpg Guest

    OK. I won't tell you.

    kpg, Jun 8, 2007
  4. kpg

    CBIC Guest

    Thanks for working those bugs out so my deployment will go smoother in 6 to
    12 months. Kindly make sure MS documents the fix they provide for you.
    Thanking you muchly.

    CBIC, Jun 8, 2007
  5. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Well, I am a selfless bastid.

    Your welcome.

    kpg, Jun 8, 2007
  6. kpg

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Wow... I can't believe people still think like that! You do realize we are
    in 2007, and that Vista is NOT XP or 2000?

    The truth is that Vista was ready to deploy in a production environment on
    November 8th. I am not saying there haven't been patches and that there
    won't be more... but Vista released ready. It did not release in June as
    originally promised or before September as hoped BECAUSE they wanted to
    release a solid product. It worked.

    Unless you have worked extensively with Vista over the past six months you
    may not realize that, but it is the reality.

    Montreal MCT, Jun 9, 2007
  7. kpg

    catwalker63 Guest

    Montreal MCT piffled away vaguely:
    I hope you're joking or getting kick-backs from MS. W2K released with
    fewer problems and bugs. Vista is NOT ready and it sucks in many ways
    that have nothing to do with whether it's ready. And no experienced
    admin deploys a new OS until the brave and foolish work out the kinks.
    Work extensively with Vista in a test environment until it's mature.
    Figure out which of your must-have legacy apps tank and how to work
    around them. Sort out issues like our OP has before you give it to
    the user. That's the reality. Anything else is marketing.

    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Jun 9, 2007
  8. This conversation is exhausting. Every time a new operating system is
    released, this conversation arises. "Windows X is not ready". "Windows X
    is still buggy and does not work with XYZ." It happened with Windows NT,
    Windows 2000, Windows XP, and now Windows Vista.

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], Jun 9, 2007
  9. KPG, weren't you the one who told me, "Welcome to the bleeding edge"?

    I rest my case.

    Taylor S. Ripley [CertGuard], Jun 10, 2007
  10. kpg

    CBIC Guest

    What I can't believe is how condescending you're being to me. Is there a
    reason for that?

    but Vista released ready.

    Obviously your and MS's definition of ready is not the same as mine.

    It did not release in June as
    In your opinion.
    I have worked extensively with Vista. Like any new OS it works fine in a
    vanilla plain environment. It's up to each company to make it work in their
    environment.

    CBIC, Jun 11, 2007
  11. kpg

    kpg Guest

    I did this on one of the 2k3 sp2 the servers:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters]
    "Tcp1323Opts"=dword:00000000

    That disables timestamps and window scaling, and as a result
    forces the max tcp window size to 64k.

    On the Vista machine: (from the admin prompt)

    netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled.

    This turns off Receive Window Auto-Tuning, and prevents vista
    from adjusting its tcp window size.

    Rebooted Vista but not the server, and the network was still
    slow (but only when communicating with the two 2k3 sp2 servers).

    Come in this AM and voila - every thing works fine. hmmmmmmm.

    OK. I can rule out the server setting (I think) because there
    are 2 servers, both exhibited the problem and now both work
    fine. I only disabled 1323 on one of them.

    I can rule out the Vista autotuning because a reboot Friday
    would work just a well as a reboot today...(unless the server
    keeps tcp connection info for a time...nah)

    If I were ambitious, I would undo my changes and see what
    that does, but alas...

    My initial assumption was that upgrading [sic] to svr 2k3 sp2
    caused the problem, and I further assumed that Vista was at
    fault. The sp2 introduced some new tcp capabilities, and Vista
    supports the new tcp capabilities, so a problem there could
    result in the behavior I saw, poor communication between Vista
    and the 2k3 sp2 machines. NIC hardware and driver incompati-
    bilities with the "new capabilities" are an equally likely
    culprit.

    So why the delayed auto-fix?

    kp "that's a rhetorical question" g

    kpg, Jun 11, 2007
  12. kpg

    kpg Guest

    I hold it true, whate'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost
    Than never to have loved at all.

    kpg

    kpg, Jun 11, 2007
  13. kpg

    kpg Guest

    You are straining your otherwise reasonably fair creditability.

    One should avoid speaking in absolutes, for it will inevitably
    result in foot-in-mouth disease.

    kpg, Jun 11, 2007
  14. kpg

    Frisbee® Guest

    Donut pee in his Cheerios®

    Personally, I find it charming (and amusing) that there are still people
    like HIM around.

    Frisbee®, Jun 11, 2007
  15. So does Vista still suck?

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], Jun 11, 2007
  16. kpg

    JaR Guest

    It may be exhausting, but it's nonetheless true again. I am running Vista
    on a couple of boxen, and trust me, it is not ready for deployment. I have
    a Dell here that has had driver issues right out of the box! Not to mention
    the infamous Vista file/copy problems. XNews crashes in Vista, and at least
    one of our shop apps locks it up solid when it tries to talk to its server.

    It keeps happening, because it, well, uh, it keeps happening.

    JaR, Jun 11, 2007
  17. kpg

    kpg Guest

    Guilty until proven innocent, I always say. ;=)

    kpg, Jun 11, 2007
  18. kpg

    Neil Guest

    how's the blue koolaid taste?

    Neil, Jun 12, 2007
  19. Tastes pretty good from my glass!

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard], Jun 12, 2007
  20. kpg

    Thor Guest

    I disagree.

    A while ago I was on the NT5 beta (to become Windows 2000).
    On beta 2 it was ready.
    It was much better in every way than Windows 95 and NT4, even before the
    release candidate.
    Vista was a different story if you ask me.
    Too optimistic.

    RTM does not mean ready for production, RTM states that they want to start
    selling it.
    Vista is great in many ways, but I don't think you should change your
    working system just yet.

    53

    Thor, Jun 12, 2007