Vista shutdown problems after installing Linksys WRT54g router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ss8wjl, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. ss8wjl

    ss8wjl Guest

    Hello all:

    I recently successfully set-up a Linksys WRT54g Wireless-G router with
    4-ethernet wired ports. Currently, I only have one computer, and when
    it is in the office with the router, I have the ethernet wired
    connection hooked up on the computer and the wireless connection is
    also active (although I think I've learned that the wired connection
    will become the "preferred" connection when both are present).

    Everything is working great, with one exception. Ever since I
    completed this set-up, my Dell Inspiron E1705 with Vista hangs during
    shutdown. The "Shutting Down" screen never goes off. This only occurs
    if I have the Ethernet cable plugged into the computer when I shut
    down. If I unplug the Ethernet cable prior to shutdown, everything
    works fine. But, if I shutdown with the Ethernet cable plugged in
    (whether or not the WiFi connection is active), it will hang and will
    not continue even if I later disconnect the ethernet cable.

    I never had this shutdown problem when I was directly connected to my
    Comcast cable modem via ethernet. But, now that I'm going through the
    Linksys router, I seem to have a problem.

    FYI, I also have the McAfee security suite that Comcast provides
    installed on the computer, in case that could be related (I always
    suspect virus and firewall software for problems like this).

    Can anyone point me in the right direction to debug this situation.
    I'm not very literate in the ways of networks.

    Thanks,

    Bill L

    ss8wjl, Mar 30, 2008

  2. ss8wjl

    Barb Bowman Guest

    do you have the latest firmware for the router? what hardware
    version WRT54G?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 30, 2008

  3. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 30, 2008
  4. ss8wjl

    ss8wjl Guest

    Sorry for the delay in answering.

    I downloaded the latest firmware. And the hardware version is v8.2.

    It still won't shutdown properly with the ethernet hooked up to the
    router, but if I unplug the ethernet prior to shutting down (i.e., I'm
    using the wireless-g connection only to the linksys router), it shuts
    down fine.

    Any ideas?

    ss8wjl, Apr 12, 2008
  5. ss8wjl

    ss8wjl Guest

    I didn't download that utility, since based on what I saw on the web
    page, I couldn't really understand what it was telling me. But, my
    shutdown hangs up if I have the ethernet cable plugged in. But there's
    no problem if I have the ethernet cable to the router unplugged and
    I'm using wireless-g connection to the same router. So, I don't see
    how it could be ongoing internet traffic since in both cases I'm still
    hooked up to the internet.

    Could it be some kind of addressing conflict between the wireless
    connection and the wired connection? How would I check something like
    that?

    Thanks,

    Bill

    ss8wjl, Apr 12, 2008
  6. ss8wjl

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what kinds of apps are you running? are you downloading/uploading,
    using Bittorent type stuff?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 12, 2008
  7. ss8wjl

    billshadow00 Guest

    No Bittorent type stuff. Just typical apps (MS Office, IE, Quicken,
    etc.). It doesn't seem to matter what I am running. I can just start
    up and immediately try to shut down and it hangs if the ethernet cable
    is connected. I have noticed that the Comcast supplied McAfee Security
    Suite is acting up a bit. But, I can't tell what might still be
    running that causes the computer to hang during shutdown because it
    goes the the "Shutting Down" screen and I can't get it to respond to
    anything after that, though the harddrive does seem to be occasionally
    active.

    Whatever it is, it seems to be OK with just a wireless connection
    running, but with the ethernet cable connected with our without the
    wireless connection active, it hangs.

    Thanks for staying with me on this. I'm still stuck. But, I suspect
    there is something going on with the two internet connects; like the
    computer is trying to shutdown the network connection but can't for
    some reason.

    Thanks,

    Bill

    billshadow00, Apr 12, 2008
  8. ss8wjl

    Barb Bowman Guest

    do you see anything interesting in event viewer?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 12, 2008
  9. ss8wjl

    Sue O Guest

    We installed another computer to the Linksys WRT54G router and now one of our laptops with windows Vista keeps going up/down losing the connection. It doesn't say that there is a problem but we keep losing the connection. We have a desktop with XP, a laptop with XP that are working fine but the Vista laptop is the only issue. Any ideas?

    When we connected the desktop we first had to do a hard reset on the Linksys router because at first all 3 were having issues with sending but not receiving and after the hard reset that stopped happening.

    Sue O, Apr 23, 2008
  10. ss8wjl

    Barb Bowman Guest

    1. update the firmware on the Linksys router (what hardware
    revision, what firmware does it have now?)

    2. unbind IPv6
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com/ipv6-how-to-unbind-from-a-nic-in-windows-vista/

    does anything change?

    --