    Thanks

    Kevin

    Shuttle XPC, Celeron 2.53MHz, 1gb RAM, Radeon 9600, lots of hard drive space

    Guest, Feb 1, 2008

  2. Guest

    philo Guest

    Going to two gigs of RAM would be a good idea for *either* XP or Vista...
    however for Vista..the Celeron may be a problem.

    I'd probably just add a gig...and if performance still is not goos enough...

    philo, Feb 1, 2008

  3. Guest

    sittingduck Guest

    wrote:
    Dump Vista like the steaming POS it is..... more memory will help a bit, but
    it's still a bloated POS.

    sittingduck, Feb 1, 2008
  4. Guest

    old man Guest

    Depends what you use it for
    The cpu is the likely problem

    old man, Feb 1, 2008
  5. Guest

    catchme Guest

    xp you can get by on 500m ram, if you dont play games or watch a lot of
    streaming videos.
    otherwise, a minimum of 1 gb.
    vista, i am given to understand, is a resource hog, so i would run at
    least 1 gb- 2 if you use the computer for any video or graphics related
    work/ entertainment.
    also, i always tell ppl. to avoid celeron b/c they are the cheapest
    processor on the intel side for a reason.
    not even sure i trust the pentium- class ships (reputed to overheat,
    making water cooling almost mandatory for heavy work).
    i like amd chips, athlon or better.
    in an ideal world, i would run o/s x on it. (why o why did mac go to intel?)

    catchme, Feb 1, 2008
  6. Guest

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    To get a good answer to your question, you should post to
    MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General at msnews.micorsoft.com, which is located in
    Windows Mail on Vista under MS Communities. I don't think you will ever get
    it here.

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 1, 2008
  7. Guest

    philo Guest

    Well at least this reply is an example of poor advice at any rate.

    philo, Feb 2, 2008
  8. Guest

    why? Guest

    For Vista yes, it tells me I have 256MB video RAM, 128 on the card and
    128 from the 512MB RAM I had, upgraded to 2GB last year.

    Won't hurt for XP as well.

    Me

    why?, Feb 2, 2008
  9. Guest

    philo Guest

    I am a senior service engineer with 33 years experience
    working for a major world-based mfg.
    (Well maybe not quite "major" but at least on the NYSE )
    I am also an authorized Microsoft refurbisher.

    As to RAM...once you get beyond a certain amount...
    to run the OS itself...add'l RAM will not do anything noticable to improve
    performance.

    However...depending on which apps you run...add'l RAM will of course make a
    big difference.

    Some Apps are more CPU intensive and others may depend more on RAM.

    Anyway...as to the Superbowl...I don't have a TV so I'm not going to be
    watching it.
    Besides I'm originally from Green Bay...back in the Vince Lombardi days...
    and have pretty much lost interest in football once he departed.

    Things were much better back then in the old days when things were
    NOT on a "level playing field"
    If the game was being played in Green Bay...
    and the temperature was 20 below...
    and the Packers were playing some team from the South...
    we all knew the Packers were going to win for sure.

    Even better were the rainy games...when the field was so muddy...
    you could not read the player's numbers...and even the announcer did not
    know what was going on!

    Anyway I dumped my TV maybe 15 years ago...
    Most people correctly refer to it as "the boob tube."

    philo, Feb 3, 2008
  10. Guest

    philo Guest

    ****PLONK****

    philo, Feb 3, 2008
  11. Guest

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    **DITTO**

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 3, 2008
  12. Guest

    nobody > Guest

    You beat me to it.

    nobody >, Feb 3, 2008
  13. Guest

    philo Guest

    <G>

    Sheesh, I have not plonked anyone in well over a year...
    then this weekend two got plonked.

    I guess there are a few folks out there cracking from all the pressures of
    the 21st century.
    Maybe I'll be next <G>

    philo, Feb 3, 2008
  14. Both of you need to wash your asses and brush your teeth before you both
    pucker-up and kiss each other's ass. You are both just so natural at it.

    Cross Posting HO, Feb 3, 2008
  15. Guest

    catchme Guest

    Vista promises to be something when the hardware catches up and there is
    more software available to take advantage of the 64- bit support in the o/s.
    i remember when ppl. on the mac side who had PPC 603 machines were
    hesitant about switching from 7.6 to o/s 8- not because it didnt have
    plenty of eye-candy and features for its time (it did), but because they
    had a lot of software made for the old 68k macs and werent quite ready
    to switch to PPC Native code, unsure whether 8 would be as stable as
    7.6, or as buggy as 7.5.x. (o/s 8.1 would later prove to be a better
    choice, as more native software rolled out for the ppc chips, and apple
    eliminated the 68k code, forcing old software to run in emulation)
    for now, Vista it pretty much eye candy...not saying that none of us
    dont LIKE eye candy, but there are a lot of machines- many still rolling
    off the plants- right now that run faster on xp than they could on vista.

    when someone suggests to hold off before changing o/s's, it is good
    advice. for more than one reason.

    catchme, Feb 3, 2008
  16. Guest

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    I am using Vista 32 bit. I have also developed software solutions on a XP
    64 bit machine. I don't see the difference, other than 64 bit has a lager
    instruction set, and 64 bit can use more memory.

    And software developers are on the move. They have been on the move.

    http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/
    Vista is much more than eye candy, as I have taken the time as a .Net
    software developer/professional to look under the hood and understand the
    differences between the Vista O/S and the old XP O/S. XP cannot not match
    Vista. And the whole thing is not about the home user (suck them in) eye
    candy speed to run games and whatnot from a home user's standpoint. The
    whole of Information Technology does NOT center around the home user sector.
    I have been IT since 1971, and I am still going strong. I have heard it all
    over the years. I am using Vista on the correct machine to use Vista, and
    software developers are not going to make something work with old technology
    hardware or software wise, going backwards. They are going to move forward
    no matter how much the home user sector is going to kick and scream about
    it. And MS is forcing the hand on this to bring software developers into
    line, which they have refused to do over the last several years on the MS
    platform.

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=785

    The thing I don't like is a tap dancer. He is not true to the game. A tap
    dancer that will tap dance to
    one tune in this NG to keep the status quo, making himself look good. Then
    he'll turn around and tap dance another tune in the Vista NG, a damn double
    agent.

    Vista is not going away as much as some will get down on their hands and
    knees and pray for it.

    Brady may win the Superbowl in the end, but right now, the G-Man are sacking
    him all over the field. :) I just love it.

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 4, 2008
  17. Guest

    elaich Guest

    Vista is doing more to make people look at Linux who never would have
    considered it, than anything before.

    elaich, Feb 4, 2008
  18. Guest

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    There is nothing wrong with a little competition. It makes the world go
    around and produces commerce . It's better for the consumer. I use Linux
    myself. So what is your point?

    And the G-Man have caught the Patriots and have the lead. I'll see if they
    can pull it out. :)

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 4, 2008
  19. Guest

    Pennywise Guest

    Pennywise, Feb 4, 2008
  20. Guest

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Pennywise, I don't even care. The G-Man won the Superbowl, and they caught
    the mighty Patriots at the end, That's all that counts, and everything is
    right in the world. Desktop solutions will be obsolete anyway as that's
    where it's going, as the desktop on all O/S(s) will come to an end. In the
    meantime, I have a couple of more beers drink to celibrate, as I had mony on
    the game , and I and cashing in. :)

    Bye :)

    Mr. Arnold, Feb 4, 2008