Vista haha

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Mar 22, 2008.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    Well...
    now that spring is here...we just got another huge snowfall...
    so I deciced not to play outside.

    a good day to fool with my Vista DVD

    I have a removable drive all set up so I can install Vista and test it.

    Though Vista has initially failed my evaluation tests...

    now that SP1 is out officially, I thought I'd try it again.

    Of course SP1 would not install. It got to the point where I'd expect it to
    reboot...
    then got an error code with a website link for help.
    Of course that link had nothing but useless help.

    Since I had tried Vista Ultimate first...
    I tried Vista Home Premium next and had the same results.

    So I went all the way to the bottom and installed Vista Starter

    SP1 installed just fine on that.

    I think I'll go shovel some snow now...
    it's more fun than Vista!

    philo, Mar 22, 2008

  2. Note to self:

    Save those copies of the Vista DVDs...

    (I would bet that M$ is going to be handing out some of those
    kewl & nifty $50-off your next Windows OS not too long from now,
    if Windows Me was/is any indication of better thangs yet 2 come)

    --

    My name is Bucky Breeder and I approve this message!

    ANNOY A BLASPHEMING ATHEIST :

    Worship God always! Praise Jesus!!! Pray for peace in Jerusalem.
    Say "no" to adultery. Bomb some abortion clinics! Kill some queers!

    http://www.nantucketsuicide.com/dreamdate.mp3

    http://www.nantucketsuicide.com/limpia.mp3

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 22, 2008

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    Don't know what you are talking about?

    I use removable drive kits so I can experiment of course.

    I have quite a few machines here and have a working installation of all
    non-server MS operating
    systems *except* ME (I dumped it )

    I'm sure I've forgotten a few but here is the list of OS's I have installed
    :

    Windows 1 2 3.0 3.1 wfw3.11 NT3.1 NT3.51 NT4 win2k XP win95 win98

    BeOS

    OS/2.1 warp3 Ecs

    Solaris

    FreeBSD

    Plan9

    PCLinuxOS Slackware DamnSmallLinux Fedora

    The only systems I really use on a daily basis are: Win2k, XP and PCLinuxOS

    but with all versions of Windows I've always kept them updated with the
    latest security updates
    and until Vista came along I've never had the slightest problem applying a
    service pack.

    Now...If my machine had some oddball hardware that would be one thing...
    but the point of my post was that on the same machine... SP1 would install
    fine on Vista Starter...
    but on the two "higher versions" of Vista I had installed...sp1 did not
    install.

    No big deal to me as I am not using Vista for anything but evaluation.
    but I am not ready to use Vista as my primary OS by any means!

    philo, Mar 22, 2008
  4. philo

    philo Guest

    Well I put my Vista away and went outside and shoveled...
    so I did one thing useful today!

    philo, Mar 22, 2008
  5. Bucky Breeder, Mar 22, 2008
  6. philo

    philo Guest

    If summer ever got here...I'd have all kinds of weeds.

    the only ones I remove are those the city deems as noxious:

    such as ragweed, thistles and garlic mustard.

    Other than that they all stay...it looks like a jungle back there in the
    summer

    but today it looks like Siberia!

    philo, Mar 22, 2008
  7. philo

    Lookout Guest

    Say "no" to adultery

    Seems the christians are doing most of that already. And many seem to
    be gay!!!!

    Lookout, Mar 22, 2008
  8. philo

    philo Guest

    I don't know how this thread has degenerated to rapidly
    but the reminds me of a story that's supposedly true.

    When a young lad was reciting the Ten Commandments

    one of them came out as:

    Though shalt not omit adultry.

    It's probably true...because I recall that when I was a kid and had to learn
    that stuff, I had no idea what they were talking about.

    philo, Mar 22, 2008
  9. philo

    richard Guest

    Since 98 came out, upgrades have always been a bitch.
    I've run every version of windows since 95 with no upgrades, and so
    far have not had a major problem I couldn't deal with. That was caused
    by windows. Most problems have been caused by various software.

    I have two laptops and one came with ME on it. That I scrapped in
    favor of xp so that both machines would be running the same OS.
    The only problem I had with either, was trying to uninstall some Roxio
    software I did not want.

    Question is. what are you attempting to do with the OS you have no
    knowledge of? Messin with the registry and removing stuff you think
    should not be there? Or maybe some programs to try and save space
    with? If you need space, just buy another drive.

    richard, Mar 22, 2008
  10. philo

    chuckcar Guest

    I'm not stating the obvious by asking if microsoft technet had nothing
    am I?
    Apparently Vista has (wait for it) problems getting *started*. You can
    all throw your veggies now.

    chuckcar, Mar 22, 2008
  11. philo

    Pennywise Guest

    It's easter weekend, Lookout must be having a real hard time with it.

    Pennywise, Mar 22, 2008
  12. philo

    Pennywise Guest

    "the service pack will not install on computers that use peripheral
    device drivers that Microsoft has deemed incompatible."
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/03/19/2112253&from=rss

    Just one of many reasons you might be having problems.

    Pennywise, Mar 22, 2008
  13. philo

    philo Guest

    The thing is...
    I did clean installs and did not install any 3rd party drivers.

    The only positive thing I can say is that I suppose it's better to have the
    application of a service pack
    fail *prior* to it being installed, then *after*.

    philo, Mar 22, 2008
  14. philo

    philo Guest

    FWIW: I Finally got SP1 to install by running it in the /quiet mode

    Have no idea why that did the trick.

    Anyway...the system was not working right prior to SP1 being installed.
    SP1 did nothing to help it...
    so once again I have given up on Vista
    will probably run another evaluation in a few months

    philo, Mar 23, 2008