Vista bullet-proof install steps

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Jul 3, 2008.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Another Vista install, another learning experience.
    This time it was a Gigabyte mobo, with 790FX (a.k.a. "spider") northbridge
    and SB600 southbridge, both ATI chipsets.
    I had not read this kb http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931369 previously so
    I found myself with a neverending installation.
    A Vista green screen with mouse pointer and hourglass that would never go
    away while the hard disk was spinning and spinning.
    To make a long story short, THIS is what should always be done to have a
    "safe", bullet-proof and enjoyable Vista installation experience.

    1.- Use a standard IDE DVD drive for booting Vista installation, even if you
    won't use it later. You can plug your shiny brand new DVD/RW sata drive once
    the installation has finished.
    2.- Only plug the hard disk (or disks for RAID, if applicable) that will be
    the home of the operating system.
    3.- Disable in BIOS all hard disk controllers except for IDE and the one
    that holds the drives
    4.- Don't plug any external hardware except for the mouse and keyboard. I
    would recommend vanilla PS/2 mouse and keyboard, even if you won't use them
    later.
    5.- Disable on-board audio, parallel port, etc. You can enable them later.
    6.- PCI and PCIe, only put your graphic card. You can add the other gizzmos
    later.
    7.- If applicable, have ready a floppy/pen drive with drivers for your hard
    disk controller (or RAID).
    8.- Use a maximum RAM memory of 2 gigabytes for the installation. The rest
    of the sticks can be added when Vista is up'n runnin'.
    9.- This should be step 0. Flash BIOS with the latest one obtained from the
    mobo's manufacturer web site. It surely fixes issues and enables the latest
    processors.
    10.-Have coffee ready, sit down, relax and enjoy!

    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 3, 2008

  2. Carlos

    Kue2 Guest

    Carlos
    Where does this leave the average user:

    1:does not have a spare cd-rom drive.
    2:does not feel comfortable flashing their bios
    3:does not have a spare keyboard & mouse
    4:does not know what to disable or change in the BIOS(what's that).
    5:does not like removing memory.

    just wants to load Vista 32 or 64,after all Vista is touted as the OS to
    use.
    Seems to me the install process is not easy.The average user would have a
    large bill $$$$
    for all the spare parts not to mention the cost of operating system.
    Then would come all the manuals,how to articles on tinkering with the
    bios..........installing & uninstalling cards & memory
    I think a better idea would be for the average user to buy a system with the
    Vista they want preinstalled & pick up a cup of coffee on the way home.When
    they get home they could sit down, relax and enjoy!
    The bullet-proof installation ! Wink!

    Kue2, Jul 3, 2008

  3. Carlos,

    I have a Biostar TA770 A2+ with the AMD/ATI chipset and I
    had the same problem initially. I discovered that going
    into the BIOS and setting the SATA to the "Legacy IDE"
    allowed the SATA optical drive to be recognized after that
    during installation. My choices were: Legacy, AHCI, and
    Native.

    I just ran across a reference for a board with nVidia
    chipset to set it to AHCI and use the drivers as you would
    with F6 in XP.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 3, 2008
  4. Yup, all good ones. I'd include in your list having drivers for ALL hardware
    on that pen drive, just in case. I'm thinking of the ATI "eternal black
    screen" on first boot that you had to load drivers in safe mode for.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 3, 2008
  5. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hugh,
    The average user should follow your advice.
    The rest, who like to build their own systems, face different issues when
    trying install Vista (or XP, or Win2K back in the old ages) on different
    hardware.
    I just wanted to share hours of hard work I spent the last two weeks
    installing Vista on home made PC's for people that asked for my help.
    I believe I have found a failsafe process which contains many advices
    already given in this NG.
    1.- Flash BIOS: Author is Tony Sperling
    2.- 2 gigs of RAM: Mentioned by Colin
    and the credits list goes on...
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 3, 2008
  6. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    So far my "easier" installs have been on "pure nVidia" (nForce chipset,
    nVidia graphics) than ATI based (chipset) mobos.
    Maybe it is just me, now I know the right and failsafe steps.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 3, 2008
  7. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    You can install Vista in IDE mode and then go back to AHCI when it is
    installed.
    AHCI will give you paging errors (event id 51) with your DVDR/W unit.
    I went back to IDE mode and had no errors.
    There are many complaints about AHCI all around the web.
    Caros

    Carlos, Jul 3, 2008
  8. I agree with #1 and #4. I think it is a little early to abandon legacy
    hardware like an IDE optical drive. I just had a build done and insisted on
    that and a floppy. Unfortunately, PS/2 mouse connectors are going away. My
    latest build supports a PS/2 keyboard (thank goodness) but not a mouse.
    Having legacy stuff has saved my bacon once or twice during an installation.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 4, 2008
  9. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Colin,
    MSFT Wireless Desktop 6000 (wireless usb keyboard + mouse combo) won't work
    when plugged to a Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 motherboard even after Vista is
    installed.
    That very same combo works flawlessly in many other PC's.
    The only workaround was to use the provided USB to PS/2 adaptor and plug it
    to the PS/2 ports.
    And yes, all the corresponding USB options in BIOS are activated.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 4, 2008
  10. I encountered one of those Catch-22 situations trying to
    switch to AHCI after installation. AHCI requires drivers
    for the system to boot up, but you can't install the drivers
    until after you boot the system. In the "Legacy" mode I
    couldn't install the AHCI drivers because Windows informed
    me there was not any hardware requiring the drivers.

    I'm sure there's a solution, but I have found it yet.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 4, 2008
  11. I still hold a grudge with nVidia over the stupid firewall issues when XP
    x64 released, plus they had so many bad drivers in the early days of Vista
    that I was quite happy to be on a non-nvidia platform. Who knows what my
    next machine will be, but I suspect I'll have to make a decision soon. I
    expect we'll be dealing with buying a new one by the end of the summer or
    early fall. Right now my main workstation is still the Asus A8V I bought
    before XP x64 released.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 4, 2008
  12. Yes, I have two sets of adapters around - the double PS/2 to USB for old
    style keyboard/mouse to get to my laptop, and a reverse USB to PS2 for mice.
    (All my keyboards here are old Northgate 102 keyboards dating from the early
    90's.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 4, 2008
  13. Carlos

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    There is:

    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=444831

    it's a bit fiddly but fortunately you can switch modes between re-boots
    until you get it right! You may need to edit the Vendor data in the reg
    file - I did and it worked fine.

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 4, 2008
  14. Carlos

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    PS/2 is essential for IBM type M keyboards!

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 4, 2008
  15. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 4, 2008
  16. Think you can hold off long enough to get a read on the Nehalem workstation
    chips after they debut? I'm not thinking of the octicores so much (they are
    much further off) but some of the other functionalities of the new
    microarchitecture.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 4, 2008
  17. We'll see. I"m going to have to buy a laptop soon regardless - this Ferrari
    is over two years old now, and getting a bit EOL. And I'd really like to
    build a really solid workstation - the sort that could cover for my server
    in a pinch. It will have at LEAST 8 GB of RAM, and I'd really like 16. And
    it's going to have SAS drives, if I can afford them. (I can justify them for
    the servers, but it's harder for a workstation.) I'm strongly leaning
    towards dual opterons at this point, primarily because I don't want anything
    more to do with FBDIMMs. They're huge power hogs and they produce a LOT of
    heat.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 5, 2008
  18. Remember, Charlie, I always was your favorite....

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 5, 2008
  19. <grin> I don't know, Jane was making me a pretty good offer...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 5, 2008
  20. I knew posting the bio pic was going to be a big mistake. :(

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 5, 2008