Vista Boot Time = Unpaid Time

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2008.

  1. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Enkidu, Nov 20, 2008

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Cima Guest

    "TIGHT ARSED employers are refusing to pay employees for the 20 or so minutes it
    takes for their computers to boot-up or shut down."

    20 minutes, what are they running it on - a 5 year old PC? And why would they
    hang around waiting for it to shutdown? Smells like a load of bollocks... just
    the thing to give Larry a boner.

    Cima, Nov 20, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Je| Guest

    In my experience the article is completely accurate. Now where is that
    microsoft shill poster that posts in all the Vista threads?

    J&H.

    Je|, Nov 20, 2008
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Yup, just like the win98 boxen that got upgraded to xp but no ram was
    added.
    It may be Vista Capable, just like win 95 was with 4 or was it 8 megs of
    ram from 3.11. Anyways, capable means you must be patient, not runs
    smoothly. We all know this. Been there done that, I never even started
    moving, you can move on.

    Dave Taylor, Nov 20, 2008
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 20, 2008
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Actually when you have idiot network admins with roaming profiles on
    slow storage with slow lan thats not uncommon.

    Nothing to do with the OS, everything to do with idiots running the place.

    Richard, Nov 20, 2008
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Riiigt! Nothing at all to do with idiot users saving gigabytes worth of
    music in their profiles then?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 20, 2008
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    I never logoff unless I have to.
    There is no real alternative. People want to login to any machine they
    walk up to and they want all their files to be available anywhere, not
    to mention being backed up.

    Then you get the road warrior who is incensed because he can't access
    the corporate LAN drives on the road. Duh!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 20, 2008
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    A better and more realistic description of the issue is here

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/20/windows_vista_overtime/

    It's not Vista per se, it is idiot employers who use logon/logoff times
    as part of their timeclock system for staff.

    It still doesn't seem believable though - there is no way Vista takes 15
    minutes to boot to the logon screen, and no way this is affected by
    roaming profiles as they don't load until after the logon has been
    processed by the DC (and thus transferred to the timeclock system).

    EMB, Nov 20, 2008
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    That's fine if you set the policy.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 21, 2008
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Dimwit. The profile keeps all the preferences and stuff like that. The
    home directory doesn't contain the preferences, the profile does, local
    or roaming. Profiles should be small, and not contain bulk storage. The
    home directory should also be small and not contain bulk storage.
    Dimwit. Three things that should never be on a local (Windows) machine -
    the profile, the home directory and any corporate files. It's OK for
    them to store 'personal data', (eg photos of their kids), within reason,
    on their desktops or laptops. They should not expect it to be backed up.

    The exceptions are the road warriors who can expect to have to sync up
    every time they return to base. They are justified in having *some* data
    on their machines.
    Dimwit. You've obviously never tried either of these.
    Dimwit.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 21, 2008
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Richard Guest

    Non work related files should be removed if the staff complain about
    slowness to log in. If they do it again they should be refered to HR for
    a meeting about their misuse of work assets.

    Richard, Nov 21, 2008
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Biggles Guest

    Biggles, Nov 21, 2008
  15. No wonder Dimdows is so complicated and unwieldy to manage. On Unix/Linux systems _all_ user data goes in the user directory. Nice and simple. System directories contain only system stuff.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 23, 2008
  16. NFS is insecure.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 23, 2008
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    I guess it was worth a try ;-)

    Gib Bogle, Nov 25, 2008
  18. Sometimes it's good for lulz lol.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 25, 2008
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    You don't have to convince me - I'm a card-carrying pedant.

    Gib Bogle, Nov 26, 2008
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Don't you mean Muphry's law?