Vista Beta is now public and guess what...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise, Jun 10, 2006.

  1. Pennywise

    Pennywise Guest

    Vista Beta 2: "Biggest Software Download Event In History"
    http://www.jamesproud.com/article/98

    "“Demand for Beta 2 has been huge – which we expected. But, we are
    hitting ceilings on bandwidth. Right now we are serving out product
    keys 10x faster than we can serve the downloads. Already this is the
    biggest software download event in history.”

    “1. We are pumping out bits as fast as we can. If we pushed out bits
    any faster there would be a measureable impact for the Internet.”

    “So, we are literally saying that if we increased our bandwidth any
    further there’s a possibilty of taking down the Internet – people
    might have problems with World Cup viewing, etc”

    “So, it isn’t that we weren’t anticipating demand – we were and are –
    it is that we are at the threshold of what the Internet can bear”

    “2. We want to encourage people who can wait to order the DVD. The DVD
    guarantees you RCI upgrade (as long as you activate).”

    And what is that, Microsoft considered bittorrent as a distribution
    method?

    “We thought about Bit Torrent a lot, especially in the planning stages
    for this. There are legal and privacy issues which unfortunately make
    that not an option for Microsof to officially sponsor a BitTorrent. I
    really wish we could do it, but we can’t.”

    And what you all wanted to know, how many downloads, well, “no
    comment”.

    So Microsoft are holding out on the numbers of PIDs given and the
    total bandwidth used, but I have been assured that within a week or
    two, these figures will be available."

    Hype or truth?

    Pennywise, Jun 10, 2006

  2. Pennywise

    Gordon Guest

    Hype I should think. The majority of Windows users are Corporate ones, and
    they ain't gonna be downloading Vista, are they?

    Gordon, Jun 10, 2006

  3. Pennywise

    Mitch Guest

    Immaterial.
    When a movie trailer comes out, the demand is really high, too.
    That doesn't mean the movie is going to be great -- it just means a lot
    of people are curious.

    If you could find out that every that gets the public preview also gets
    Vista as soon as they can, then you've said something about Vista.
    But just showing that there are a lot of people who want to know
    something about it is meaningless.

    Mitch, Jun 11, 2006