    BTW Vista is a very underated product and find myself having to defend it
    constantly. Anyone else get the same?

    Thanks

    Richard Blay, Dec 13, 2008

  2. Vista has a number of new features (perhaps too many, as it may have
    impacted the efforts placed on the core), and a new interface. Regardless of
    whether it's XP moving to Vista, or XP moving to Win7 -- those unfamiliar
    will have a learning curve to learn the new interface, the new features, and
    the new methodologies of use.

    Somebody with Vista experience has already tackled those issues, and will
    only be impacted by any new Vista-to-Win7 considerations, no doubt a much
    shorter learning curve in any scenario.
    I agree. While one may not want to use the product, as an ITPro we have an
    obligation to our employer, our clients, and ourselves to be familiar with
    the technology, even if we think it sucks. The really sad thing, though, is
    the number of IT "professionals" who have never seen the product first-hand,
    and merely parrot what the tech journals have written.

    I don't find myself defending Vista, because I like to maintain a balanced
    viewpoint. I don't generally recommend businesses invest in Vista, since
    those things that would really justify the investment are only available in
    the Business Enterprise edition, and my clients typically don't have volume
    licensing agreements in place to take advantage of that edition. Nor would I
    recommend installing Ultimate Edition just to get access to Bitlocker.

    One of the most fatal flaws I think Microsoft made was not putting Bitlocker
    in the standard Business Edition of Vista.

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Dec 14, 2008