vista 64 a driverless lame duck?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Pete Shields, Nov 28, 2007.

  1. Pete Shields

    Pete Shields Guest

    Have I wasted my cash on an operating system that's unable to communicate
    with the majority of my external hardware?
    Am I doing something wrong (everything worked in XP), as the majority of my
    external hardware has problems, ie:
    1) HP C7189 scanner/printer only installs basic printer driver - my machine
    finds scanner part every time I boot up, but don't install any drivers.
    2) USB hub - akasa not recognised (card reader does work though)
    30IPOD Nano don't work
    4)memory sticks don't work anymore.
    5) Archos 704 don't work
    6) Sony cybershot T100 don't pick up - need to remove memory card and load
    seperately
    7) my Sony digicam cannot be picked up on firewire port

    I'm sure there are more?
    I need all these bits of hardware working.....
    Help
    Pete
    Windows Vista64's official supporter

    Pete Shields, Nov 28, 2007

  2. Pete Shields

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Pete:
    What you need to do is contact the hardware manufacturers for signed
    64-bit Vista drivers for their components. Refer to an excellent white paper
    on 64-bit computing by Charlie Russel,
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc.
    Which should have been read prior to using a 64-bit operating system. If the
    manufacturers won't help, some work a rounds may be found at
    www.planetamd64.com. For the last three years everything that I've purchased
    has been 64-bit compatible so the transition to Vista x64 hasn't been a
    problem for me. Have a great day.

    Dennis Pack, Nov 28, 2007

  3. I have not had that luck Microtek after 3 years of asking and saying they
    were working on it said no way shape or form for 64 bit drivers for a 5700
    flatbed scanner and Nikon is still thinking about it, capture drivers for
    a plexor video capture device are also not available. otherwise xp
    pro 64 bit is rock solid just can't use it. Vista Ultimate thru the betas
    was usable in 64 bit but not in final. it keeps crashing. So I have a
    computer with 3 operating systems licensed office x 3 licensed 4 gigs of
    memory and it is not usable. except in xp pro 32 and then all memory is
    not there. When this started part of requirement for drivers was 64 bit
    drivers, Microsoft folded when manufacturer said no. not very happy lost
    of money spent and then what.

    Matt Schneyer, Nov 28, 2007
  4. Pete Shields

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Nov 28, 2007
  5. Pete Shields

    Carlos Guest

    Matt,
    Have you tried here?
    www.hamrick.com
    Those guys develop (non free) drivers for "old" scanners.
    Best of luck.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Nov 28, 2007
  6. Yes following their directions immediate blue screen, they say it should
    work I have not had any luck but thanks,

    Matt Schneyer, Nov 28, 2007
  7. Pete Shields

    XS11E Guest

    You may be able to make your own driver for the scanner, I got my
    Microtek scanner working by decorating the .inf file as shown here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/install/64INF_reqs.mspx

    You can open the .inf file with Notepad and all you must do is add
    "NTamd64" in two places w/o the quotes. It worked for me, hope it will
    work for you.
    Could that work for Nikon as well? It's worth a try.

    XS11E, Nov 28, 2007
  8. The drivers I found are already decorated as you describe and they don't
    work, What am I missing. I will get to it later I am waiting for Microsoft
    to return a call about an update that keeps asking to be installed, They
    have been working on it for 2 months with zero help. Last night the 4th
    supervisor asked what operating systems were installed, I even had a tech
    ask me to check the box not to see the update again, that didn't work.
    Thanks for the reply it really would be nice to be able to stay in xp 64 it
    is rock solid but the rebooting to us scanners is not in the cards. It is a
    firewire scanner.

    Matt Schneyer, Nov 28, 2007
  9. Pete Shields

    Theo Guest

    Caution! Decorating the drive for x64 only works if there
    are no 16-bit or 32-bit .dll's associated with the
    installation. This 'decorating' didn't work for my Epson
    2580 Photo because it also installed a 32-bit .dll.

    Although Epson was adamant about NEVER providing 64-bit
    support, they did put out a "Vista 32-bit only" driver. Out
    of curiosity I downloaded the file, unzipped it and poked
    around. It turned out Epson had included a Vista x64 driver
    also which installed on my XP x64 and my scanner now works
    perfectly.

    Theo, Nov 28, 2007
  10. Pete Shields

    XS11E Guest

    Probably nothing, it may or may not work. It's worth a try but there's
    no guarantee.
    My Microtek was a USB scanner. When I went to Vista it became almost
    unusable in either Vista 32 or Vista 64. I tried VueScan but decided
    against it as it didn't allow slide/film strip scanning. I gave up and
    bought a different scanner after first making SURE it was supported in
    Vista 32 and 64. It's a Canon CanoScan 4400F which didn't really cost
    much more than the VueScan program would have because of discounts I
    was offered at Amazon.com

    Sorry it hasn't worked for you, the Canon is the second scanner I've
    had to buy to keep compatibility with newer OSs. <sigh>

    XS11E, Nov 28, 2007
  11. Pete Shields

    XS11E Guest

    It won't work for dozens of devices but it's certainly worth a try
    before replacing a device or giving up on an OS.

    XS11E, Nov 28, 2007
  12. Check the possibility that the update has spelling errors - I had an internet
    sign up program on a client machine that kept on popping up and upon scouring
    through the event log for it discovered (Task Scheduler by the way) that the
    word Internet had been coded "intenet"
    --
    SuzDPQ

    Suzanne MarcAurele, Nov 28, 2007
  13. Pete Shields

    Pete Shields Guest

    Thanks Carlos.
    I've tried that before, but the scanner side of the driver doesn't seem to
    want to pick up.
    Every time I reboot my machine, it goes through an installing driver routine
    for the printer, but can't find the driver, although the printer side works,
    but the scanner or memory card reader do not.
    Most of my problems look like they are usb related. Don't know whether this
    has anything to do with the problems.
    thanks

    Pete
    frustrated early adopter

    Pete Shields, Nov 28, 2007
  14. Pete Shields

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Nov 28, 2007
  15. Pete,

    perhaps you've tried this - but my HP AIO can only run the scanner through
    the Camera and Scanner applet in control panel, no use pressing the buttons
    on the device.

    Also, there is all the HP software that comes on the system CD - Image Zone
    and HP Director and so on, these are 32bit apps but they work just great
    with the Scanner as well, since they don't contain any driver code!!!

    To install the HP 64bit driver, you have to power down the printer and
    unplug it, then when you run the installer you just follow the instructions
    and plug in the device when you're told - then there will most likely be a
    very loooong pause when nothing is happening, this is normal, hang on - when
    the device is recognized the HP Installer may fire up the Windows Installer
    (this can be very confusing!) go through the Windows Installer and complete
    that part and then complete the HP Installer, which has been left running in
    the background.

    If you have a series of uncompleted installations, I recomend to make sure
    the device and any software/driver that might remain are uninstalled and
    removed completely from the system and the machine re-booted before you
    start over again.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 28, 2007
  16. Pete Shields

    Pete Shields Guest

    Thanks Tony, but I'm afraid that didn't work for me either.
    I'm so disappointed with the response from the driver vendors. They either
    don't respond or are working on the problem.

    I believe that all of my hardware is Vista32 compatable and I've nearly
    reached the end of my tether with Vista64.
    For heavens sake my year old Ipod Nano doesn't pick up...
    I can't bring myself to go back to xp.
    Looks like I'm going to have to go out and invest in vista32. Do microsoft
    offer any 'trade-downs' to the 32 bit version?
    It's a shame us early adopters have to suffer.....

    Thanks

    Pete

    Pete Shields, Dec 5, 2007
  17. Yes, it is frustrating having your efforts met with obstacles. However, if
    you are considering buying stuff - consider if it wouldn't be less costly to
    swap the most important devices that are giving you the most head-ache and
    keep the 64bit? It may not seem to be so great for you right this moment,
    but this is the future and the future probably is closer than we think.

    I have a HP PSC 2355 that is absolutely amazing for my requirements and it
    is cheaper than the ink and works beautyfull on XP x64.

    And yes, the early adopters do a fair bit of the total suffering - that is a
    ritual!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 5, 2007