Visit to a pre-Civil War cemetery

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ben Miller, Sep 2, 2007.

  1. Ben Miller

    Ben Miller Guest

    What I found in this cemetery was some serious history packed into a
    three or four acre space in extremely rural Alabama. Some of the
    things I found:

    - Iron crosses w/ Confederate flags inscribed in the center for
    veterans of the Civil War; there
    were 65 issued throughout Eastern Alabama and Western Geogia.
    Amazing that they are
    still in the ground after, in some cases, 80 years

    - Woodmen of the World tombstones in the forms of tree stumps; the
    "tombstone program" was
    an early benefit in membership in that organization until 1920 -
    there were probably 10 in this
    graveyard

    - I found out that my great grandfather invented, and held two patents
    on, some early form of
    pipe/sewer cleaner using rotating blades

    - Many, many random bits of interest including murder, suicide, high
    finance, secret societies,
    liquor sales, racial segregation and more...

    As far as the processing goes, I all but took the yellows and greens
    out and tuned down the other colors - it was intentional.

    http://www.pbase.com/sigphotography/cedarwood_cemetery

    Ben Miller, Sep 2, 2007

  2. Ben Miller

    Frank Emens Guest

    Fery interesting -- especially since my mother's family came from
    Randolph County. They aren't in Cedarwood thoough, they are at the
    cemetary at Midway Church which is about "midway" between Roanoke and
    Wedowee. You better believe it is extremely rural down there!

    Frank Emens, Sep 2, 2007