    drive completely, watched it count down the percent to 100, then
    restarted, still there. If my only drive is formated where the hell is
    the virus? Any info will be much appreciated.

    lost cause, Aug 28, 2004

  2. lost cause

    Vanguardx Guest

    From what did you run the FORMAT program? From the infected OS? Then
    why would you think the virus would let you get rid of it. Use a
    bootable floppy created from a disk image from www.bootdisk.com or use
    the bootable Windows install CD to format the partition. If the virus
    still persists, your bootstrap program in the MBR (master boot record)
    got infected and the MBR is not in any partition so reformatting won't
    eradicate an MBR bootstrap virus. You'll need to use the bootable
    floppy to run 'FDISK /MBR' or again use the bootable Windows install CD
    and select the second Repair option to enter Recovery Console mode to
    run 'FIXMBR'.

    Since you reformatted and "restarted", just what was it you thought you
    were restarting on a supposedly reformatted partition that obviously or
    presumably had no files on it, including an OS? Sounds like you did the
    reformat, installed Windows, and then installed your applications and
    one of those is infected so you infect yourself again. Of course, if
    you are leaving your network connection active during the setup and
    before any firewall is activated then it is possible that you got hacked
    before you brought up your security screens.

    Vanguardx, Aug 28, 2004

  3. lost cause

    Hannes Guest

    If you are connected to internet 24/7 and your ISP has not closed ports
    for you, the virus might be on your network.

    My friend had this problem. Solution. He disconnected from the web, made
    clean install and installed a firewall. After that he reconnected and
    voila ... viruses started to flow in. Well, they tried to. Firewall
    blocked them all.

    Hannes

    Hannes, Aug 28, 2004
  4. lost cause

    Dabei Guest

    I suggest first you need to make sure it is a virus rather than some
    problems with your system. What exactly happens when winxp can't start? You
    should be able to get the system boot up with other OS(win98,me, 2k,etc)
    unless it is a hardware problem. Do a virus check on that.

    Find out what kind of virus it is if Norton03 reports the virus. Check on
    Norton's website for that virus definition. You will find specific actions
    need to be taken for that virus. It is often easier and more effective than
    formatting your disk.

    Dabei, Aug 28, 2004
  5. What was the un-named "virus" called ? The answer is derived from that information.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Aug 28, 2004
  6. lost cause

    lost cause Guest

    It is a virus and I didn't load any programs or have an internet
    connection, So it hasn't been reinfected it just hasn't been removed
    yet. I am not that tech knowlegable but I see why I couldn't get rid
    of it now. So if someone more knowledgable could give me some steps to
    take to get rid of it that would be great, I don't know the name of it
    but there has to be a program or something that would just clear
    everything, or some steps I don't know about that would fix it.

    thanks, Mike

    lost cause, Sep 1, 2004
  7. You ask questions that require more informatiion. That name of the virus is important.

    All I can do is suggest...Obtain Zvi Netiv's IVINIT utility.

    http://www.invircible.com/iv_tools.php#Ivinit

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Sep 1, 2004
  8. lost cause