    hi, I've got windows to install in VMware Server, and was wondering if
    i get a virus in the guest operating system, will it affect the host
    operating system?

    buttonbrn, Jun 27, 2007

  2. It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:09:50 -0500, that as I was
    Do tell!

    William Poaster, Jun 27, 2007

  3. buttonbrn

    Mara Guest

    They sent out a signature that detected parts of some medical software as
    malware and deleted it. Had we been running Norton and shut down our software,
    we'd have been up a creek without a paddle. I got a notice on this from the
    software author yesterday. I don't know how many other programs got hit.

    Man, I'm glad we don't run Norton. Some other places did, though, and I gather
    there was quite a mess to deal with.

    I'd sue, frankly.

    Mara, Jun 27, 2007
  4. It was on, or about, Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:59:23 -0500, that as I was
    And so they should be. IMO companies like Norton & MacAfee only get away
    with their products, by relying on the ignorance of windows users.

    --
    Vista Vs Ubuntu:

    Install Vista in 2 minutes:

    Laugh at vista!

    William Poaster, Jun 27, 2007
  5. buttonbrn

    Mara Guest

    And by making deals with ignorant companies to have their crapware preinstalled.

    It's all about the money. And laziness. People see it on their machine when they
    buy it and figure since it's there they don't need anything else. It never
    occurs to them that there just might be more effective AVs out there. After
    doing this so long, though, I've become too cynical to feel sorry for them.

    The information's out there. They just don't look.

    Mara, Jun 27, 2007
  6. wrote in
    "got windows to install..." Windows [?]? ...?

    Using VMware, so obscurity was your goal?

    That's how they investigate and analyse viruses, so
    the answer would be "not likely." But with viruses it's
    hard to give a definitive answer because that's why they
    call them viruses. Some virus writer with enough savy
    and time and knowledge of the particualrs might write
    one that could jump, but then VMware would come out
    with a version that remedied the malady... and such is
    life in teh d1g1tal whirrled.

    There's is no "i" or "us" in virus when you use protection.

    --

    If :

    Northern city-dwellers constantly mock your isolated rural heritage,
    and utilize crass stereotypes referencing your supposed appetite
    for frequent and random fornication with your own family relations,
    and scoff your easily demonstrable simple almost simian intelligence
    to further privately or openly and publically demean you...

    .... then... you *just* *might* be a "redneck"!

    Bucky Breeder, Jun 27, 2007