Virtualized VPN

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Chris White, Jan 20, 2009.

  1. Chris White

    Chris White Guest

    Hi all, i am setting up a vpn server with the exception that instead of
    running physically on a server, the operating system is installed as a
    virtual machine using MS Virtual PC. This is how it is setup:

    Host (physical) OS has two interfaces, one connected to internal network and
    the other to external connection using two IPs, one public and the other
    private. The virtual machine is connected to the network via these two
    interfaces, of course using different IPs. Pinging is all OK and there is
    uninterrupted network flow. In fact the virtual machine OS is a child domain
    of the physical domain and active directory is being replicated without any
    problem.

    I have forwarded port 1723 from modem to router and i used to work with it
    just fine, therefore virtual servers are set OK.

    However my problem is this...how can I forward the 1723 port to my virtual
    machine? should I use the public IP address of the host OS or of the virtual
    machine? I tried both but with no luck and I guess I am missing something
    here...

    I know its a bit hard to understand but i left nothing out and would
    appreciate your help!

    Thanks a million!!

    Chris White, Jan 20, 2009

  2. Chris White

    FrisbeeĀ® Guest

    A million what?

    FrisbeeĀ®, Jan 21, 2009

  3. Chris White

    catwalker63 Guest

    Lessee . . . .

    This is just me (or maybe not) but I would not have a public and a
    private IP on the same NIC. External implies public so that's where I
    would put the public address. I would preferr to put the public address
    on a router and put all the machine IPs on private and use NAT. When you
    say forward port 1723 I'm thinking you are doing NAT but the rest of your
    description doesn't match a NAT setup. You also have a modem and router
    so why have public addresses on your host machine?? Or two NICs? Is
    this your router? I'm confused.

    Now your virtual machine has its own virtual NIC with its own IP so if
    your VPN is addressing your VPC, forward 1723 to that IP or the VPC
    hostname. In other words, forward the port from the router to the VPC IP
    (or hostname) on the same subnet as the router. And make sure you don't
    have a firewall blocking that port on the VPC.

    catwalker63, Jan 29, 2009