    and I was wondering if it is worthwhile vs. building up my home network.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    Guest, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Yes, it is possible.

    That's kinda the point of the exercise, if it was easy anybody could do it
    and M$ wouldn't be making wads of $$ with the certification process.

    It's really a matter of finance, keeping everything in the Virtual realm
    will save you $$ on hardware, physically building a machine network is gonna
    cost you but it will be easier to apply that knowledge in the real world.
    At least that's the way I went when I was working on my MCSE, I just bought a
    couple of e-machines wiped out the HD's and used em as servers in a domain
    with the 3 pc's I already had in the house. But physically building/breaking
    and rebuilding the domains was a great way to learn.
    Velcomen,

    Guest, Jul 20, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Sandworm--I'll look into it some more and see if I can figure it out.
    I have plenty of experience building domains, but I wanted to work on testing
    some of the more difficult concepts in a lab-like environment, and would
    rather do it through virtual server if possible.

    Andrew

    Guest, Jul 20, 2006
  4. Guest

    kpg Guest

    So you're saying you can do virtually anything on a virtual server?

    kpg, Jul 20, 2006
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    After reading some more, I found the Virtual Server 2005 reviewers guide,
    which mentioned that you can create virtual networks on your PC, which is
    where I am headed.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    Guest, Jul 20, 2006
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    On a virtual server you can basically, effectually, essentially,
    fundamentally, implicitly, in effect, in essence, in substance, morally,
    nearly, not absolutely, not actually, practically do everything you can do on
    a real server!

    Or so I've read.

    Guest, Jul 20, 2006
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Ah Ha! I knew these vision holes in the front of my facial portal were of
    some use!!

    Guest, Jul 20, 2006
  8. Guest

    JaR Guest

    Check yard sales, etc. When I did mine, I picked up three old boxes that
    way. Even after upgrading RAM, adding NICs and stuff, I never was into
    them more than about $400, more likely about $300. Used free demo versions
    of the software. When I was done, I wiped the drives, installed Mepis
    Linux and sold two of them. The third got scavenged for parts.

    Doesn't get any cheaper than that, baby!

    JaR, Jul 20, 2006
  9. Guest

    kpg Guest

    As Sandworm once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
    Ah.. the elusive GQotD!

    kp "Geek Quote of the Day" g

    kpg, Jul 20, 2006
  10. Guest

    JaR Guest

    That's virtually correct.

    JaR, Jul 20, 2006
  11. Guest

    Cerebrus Guest

    That reminds me... Used and thrown computers from the U.S have now
    become hot property in India. They are imported here, and sell for
    comparatively cheaper rates, and since their hardware configuration is
    way above normal computers here, they get a lot of buyers.

    Cerebrus, Jul 20, 2006
  12. Guest

    Jtyc Guest

    Doesn't get any cheaper than that, baby!

    I buy servers from Dell brand new for $399. Wait around for the good deal
    and you'll get free memory upgrade and free hard drive upgrade. It's worth
    the little extra especially since I don't do hardware anymore as it's
    beneath my station.

    Jtyc, Jul 20, 2006
  13. Guest

    BD Guest

    << While I was at work, Cerebrus spurted out:
    How many of them are still configured with US versions of Windows?

    I do believe there is an encryption issue there. From what I've heard, only the
    US allows 128-bit encryption. Not sure if this is still true though.

    BD, Jul 20, 2006
  14. Guest

    kpg Guest

    As BD once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
    The kind of control you're suggesting is not possible.

    kp "at least, according to chaos theory" g

    kpg, Jul 20, 2006
  15. Guest

    JaR Guest

    Hmmm...interesting. What kinda money we talking about here?

    JaR, Jul 20, 2006
  16. Guest

    kpg Guest

    As JaR once said in microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse
    Right.

    I have about 20 Pentium-90's, with HDDs up to 2GB - No RAM, sorry.

    Let's start the bidding.

    kpg, Jul 20, 2006
  17. Guest

    BD Guest

    << While I was at work, kpg spurted out:
    This is what I remembered seeing: http://www.microsoft.com/exporting/basics.htm

    BD, Jul 20, 2006
  18. Guest

    JaR Guest

    JaR, Jul 20, 2006
  19. Guest

    MitchS Guest

    Can you get a virtual blue screen?

    MitchS, Jul 20, 2006
  20. Guest

    BD Guest

    << While I was at work, MitchS spurted out:
    It's virtually impossible.

    BD, Jul 20, 2006