    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 7, 2005

  2. I intend to venture making the installation over the weekend. I have a mind
    to collect my own novice-thoughts to the benefit of the curious of this
    group - if someone doesn't beat me to it. Having skimmed through some of the
    written material, I must say I was very surprised to learn that the software
    emulates an antiquated graphics card with 4MB memory(!!!), I am increasingly
    sceptic about wether or not I will be able to use this for anything
    worth-while. . .but we shall see?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 7, 2005

  3. It is 8MB once the vm additions are installed. There are no additions for
    Linux, so in Linux use the Vesa driver where available to achieve 8MB
    (usually not necessary).
    See http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2005/11/21/494961.aspx for
    an explanation as to why 8MB is sufficient on a 2D graphics card. This
    supports 1600x1200 resolution and 32-bit color depth.

    Buried among the comments is the little advertised method for adjusting this
    value (8MB) by editing the .vmc file.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  4. Thank you, Colin - so, there is some light at the end of the tunnel, and
    mentioning linux. . .the FAQ says it is not supported at all - and only
    32bit guests to (boot)?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 7, 2005
  5. "Not supported" does not mean "Doesn't run." Support refers to Microsoft
    Product Support Services, not whether or not an operating system installs
    and runs correctly.

    Support for a couple of specific Linux enterprise distros will be announced
    in a few months and Linux Additions will be released for them at that time
    also.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  6. Virtual Server 2005 R2 is not capable of running any 64-bit guests.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  7. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    Ted Guest

    Would it work with my iPod ? :) just kidding.
    It seems I just have to install it and find out.
    The word Virtual never sank in my brain.
    Many thanks.

    Ted, Dec 7, 2005
  8. Boy, am I glad to hear that!

    This actually brings on one more question - Am I correct in supposing that
    the Virtual HD will not require any dedicated drivers for the installation
    of Guest OS's on my existing RAID?

    (I realize it is a weird question, but it's a bit of a weird issue - I am
    having trouble formulating myself)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 7, 2005
  9. Virtual Server presents emulated hard drive controllers to the guests just
    like the rest of the emulated hardware. The virtual machines don't know or
    care about the storage system on the host. That's why I can save a file to
    my virtual machine's hard drive on its virtual IDE controller and the write
    winds up in a .vhd file some where on my host's second SATA drive.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 7, 2005
  10. I am definitely going to like that.

    Thanks, again.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 8, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    wewa Guest

    I downloaded it adn tried to install on my x64 machine.
    It says I need IIS running.
    What now?

    wewa, Dec 8, 2005
  12. Start IIS, of course. You may need to install it first. It is on the xp cd
    and the easiest way to find it is to open Add/Remove Programs, click on
    Add/Remove Windows Components, and then check the box for IIS. You will
    have to look a bit but it is there. Click OK and the system will ask for
    the XP x64 cd when it needs it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 8, 2005
  13. So nice to see they didn't improve the installation experience for this
    release.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 9, 2005
  14. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

    wewa Guest

    Doh!

    I should have realized that!
    Its been awhile since I've had to mess with 'Windows Components'.

    I now has VSR2 duly installed.

    Thanks!

    wewa, Dec 9, 2005
  15. You're welcome.