    Im confused about the difference(s) between virtual directories and physical
    directories in IIS.

    Any ideas?

    Paul M Fin, Jun 24, 2008

  2. Short answer (for the long answer get an IIS or WebAdmin book and read).

    Virtual directories are logical pointers to some other physical place
    (directories, servers, websites, etc.)

    Physical directories are the actual folder in the filesystem.

    You create a virtual directory in IIS, and in the "Pathname" block, you
    would assign a physical directory to the virtual directory.

    e.g. Website root is c:\inetpub\wwwroot

    my personal folder is in c:\users\lgarvin\my documents\mywebstuff.

    I want to have the things in ~\mywebstuff to be available at
    http://websitename/lawrence.

    Create a virtual directory named "lawrence" and assign the pathname as the
    physical directory "C:\users\lgarvin\my documents\mywebstuff"

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin, Jun 25, 2008

  3. Paul M Fin

    Paul F Guest

    Hi Lawrence,

    May be my question wasnt quite clear, In Microsoft Internet Manager, which
    is the UI for IIS you can have physical and virtual directories inside the
    default web site, i want to know the difference between the two structures
    there

    Paul F, Jun 25, 2008
  4. In which case, then, I'll just skip to my original suggestion...

    Because I haven't a clue what you're talking about.... which, to be real
    honest (and perhaps a bit too frank), is probably an indication that you're
    not entirely sure of what you're talking about.

    But, because I'm a persistent little bugger..

    Physical directories are exactly what they are. Folders in the filesystem on
    the server.

    Virtual directories POINT to things (Other websites, Network shares, and
    Physical directories).

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin, Jun 27, 2008
  5. Paul M Fin

    Blackmetal Guest

    Yeah, the question is a little vague, but just in case:

    In the IIS User interface, you will see listed all the virtual directories
    in the form of Application icon. If you want to see the physical folder,
    right click on the application icon of the virtual directory and on the
    properties dialog box, you will see its corresponding physical path.

    Hope this is what you're asking...

    Blackmetal, Jun 27, 2008